Alternative DIY CO2 Reactors - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Alternative DIY CO2 Reactors

Following the purchase of a light upgrade, I am considering entering the realm of DIY CO2. Note I have never attempted it before. I cannot afford a pressurized CO2 system at the moment, so I was looking at different CO2 DIY setups. Seeing as how my 25gal is the centerpiece of my girlfriend and I's new apartment, I want to be able to easily hide the reactor bottles. My girlfriend would kill me if I had a 2liter soda bottle full of nastiness with a bunch of tubes hanging out of it. I am planning on concealing it in a wicker basket on the shelf directly under the tank. I'm assuming I can't just turn the reactor on its side, so are there any other alternative containers to use as reactors? Possibly a series of mini gatorade bottles that would work? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

25 Gal "Medium Tech":

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
here is my take. Ive been running DIY yeast containers in 2 liter bottles for years. Although they are nasty looking, dirty, sticky and ugly they do make a difference. It just gets old, changing the mixture, changing your DIY diffuser etc. I use cigarette filters as diffusers, they work great! You probably aren't going to get enough pressure to use a fancy ceramic diffuser that you see with injected systems. Turning a 2 liter on its side will be weird because your inlet for the co2 would be under water. That wont work. I just hide mine in the stand under the tank. But am in the process of buying a co2 tank and regulator, am just sick and tired of changing yeast water.

-Jacklyn
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Depending on what kind of diffusal method you use (and the pressure it generates), you can pretty much use any airtight container. If you're going to use a ceramic diffuser, I would suggest heavier walled bottles though. A series of bottles is fine, but it's more work and there's a higher chance for leaks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
here is my take. Ive been running DIY yeast containers in 2 liter bottles for years. Although they are nasty looking, dirty, sticky and ugly they do make a difference. It just gets old, changing the mixture, changing your DIY diffuser etc. I use cigarette filters as diffusers, they work great! You probably aren't going to get enough pressure to use a fancy ceramic diffuser that you see with injected systems. Turning a 2 liter on its side will be weird because your inlet for the co2 would be under water. That wont work. I just hide mine in the stand under the tank. But am in the process of buying a co2 tank and regulator, am just sick and tired of changing yeast water.
Yeah, in the future I want to invest in a pressurized CO2 system, it is pricey but there is resale value to those, there's a lot of different uses for CO2 systems. I just don't have the $150 at the moment to drop on one (see above: "upgraded lighting" haha). From what i've heard it doesn't sound super demanding changing out the yeast every couple of weeks. Even so, I don't know how a 2 liter would fit with my shelf (I can post pics) so I would have to set it on the ground. I think the extra feet of tubing would cause it to lose pressure, but I could be wrong.

25 Gal "Medium Tech":

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil76 View Post
I think the extra feet of tubing would cause it to lose pressure, but I could be wrong.
An extra foot or two of tubing won't hurt it. I used to keep mine on the ground and pump it up to a 10g on a stand.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronados View Post
An extra foot or two of tubing won't hurt it. I used to keep mine on the ground and pump it up to a 10g on a stand.
Cool good to know. Might use this method after all. Still gonna keep my eyes open for a good horizontal container though just in case.

25 Gal "Medium Tech":

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I keep mine in the cabinet portion of my stand and it pumps up and into the tank just fine. I have a power head that has an intake tube for an air pump presumably but I pump the CO2 into it and it disperses it well.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've seen people use the end of a typical wooden chopstick as a diffuser, and like jmf3460 stated he uses a cigarette filter. Would these work in conjunction with a 2l generator at floor level? I'm planning on using one of those 12oz (?) Gatorade bottles as a gas separator and I hear using a gas separator can decrease output pressure as well.

25 Gal "Medium Tech":

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
If you have a canister filter, do what I did when I had diy and use the Rex Griggs inline method. I don't use diy anymore but I always used the recipes that lasted the longest. Of course, the longer it lasts, the less bps you get but if you use the inline reactor correctly, you'll get 100% diffusion and you won't need more than 1 bps. Plus, you won't get your water all bubbly. The reactor itself cost about $15 to make and was extremely simple. All you need is a bubble counter and you can make one of those yourself also.

It's pretty straight forward. I got all the stuff from home depot and it took me 20 minutes to put together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 ACTIVE using Tapatalk 2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode