Diy led help needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Diy led help needed

hi my name is farooq iam based in bangalore india..
had setup a 4 ft planted tank with 2 x 150wmetal halide and 2x4ft t5 lights

iam planing to setup a led lighting system using these following
4 x Meanwell ELN-60-48D
two separate aluminium heatsinks
\
each heatsink would have 17 cree xte cool white
and 8 red,green,blue,purple cree xpe leds

i will be building a custom enclosure for everything inside ..will upload development in coming days

now where i need help is ..iam using a potentiometer connected to a 10v ac signal which in turn is connected to driver to dim the leds
can i use a single pot for all drivers ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Farooq-

The Meanwell drivers need a 10VDC dimming signal, Not AC. You can use the same 10Vdc signal to dim all your drivers, but one Potentiometer per driver will give you more control.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ dual Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Makers 72" heat sink w/ 12 NanoBox V3 led arrays, custom built CC drivers. All controlled by a BlueFish "mini" Led Controller.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Out of curiosity, how are you distributing the LED's between the drivers? I assume you'll have 2 drivers per heatsink. However, red XP-E's have a lower max current rating than the others, and the XP-E's have a lower max current rating than the XT-E's. You can only run 14 (maybe 15) of said LED's on each Meanwell, which means you'll have a couple CW XT-E's being run at a much lower current (unless you run everything at a low current, ~500 mA)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

iam distributing the leds among the 4 drivers....
the red , green , purple will be run at maybe at 600mA.... r,g,p will share a single driver totaling 12 leds
the whites and blues at 800mA

Also thankyou O2surplus for answering my query..... will giving a single 10Vdc signal to 4 pots result in drop of voltage/current to the 10vdc signal and also pls do clarify how the connection can be made
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farooqmallik View Post
Also thankyou O2surplus for answering my query..... will giving a single 10Vdc signal to 4 pots result in drop of voltage/current to the 10vdc signal and also pls do clarify how the connection can be made
They are to be hooked up in parallel, so the current is additive, not voltage drop. Your DC source needs to be able to handle the draw of 4 dimming inputs of drivers. I can't imagine this is much though, so you should be fine with like a 1A 12v DC power supply.

Essentially you need to split the + and - wires coming from the DC supply into 4 wires each for a total of 8 wires. They then go into their respective drivers.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronados View Post
They are to be hooked up in parallel, so the current is additive, not voltage drop. Your DC source needs to be able to handle the draw of 4 dimming inputs of drivers. I can't imagine this is much though, so you should be fine with like a 1A 12v DC power supply.

Essentially you need to split the + and - wires coming from the DC supply into 4 wires each for a total of 8 wires. They then go into their respective drivers.

Personal "research" shows the Meanwell dim circuit is...
Quote:
So the DIM+ pin is drawing 1.5/1000 = 1.5mA. And that is at an applied 6.08V. It’s probably going into an NPN bipolar, and that would agree with the fact that (according to the ELN spec) you get no output for the first 1.1V input. That being so, the current with 10V applied would be 1.5mA x (10-1.1)/(6.08-1.1) = 2.68mA
1A PS is probably overkill but easy to find..

One thing to be aware of is that the dimming circuit has a low tolerance for over voltage.. The feed should be 10.3V or less (need to double check this from the hip number but it is LOW).. No more at least according to Meanwell..

For mine I use one of those cheap DC buck voltage regulators from fleabay (w/ LED out ).. Whopping $5
Throw a 12V DC out at it and turn the pot down to 10V..double check w/ VOM meter and away you go..

Quote:
DC Buck Step Down Converter LM2596 Module Regulation With LED Voltmeter Display

As to dropping the current below useable w/ 4 parallel pots.. doubt it is even possible w/ any 12V DC wall wart..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode