Welcome to the ghetto. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (6/100%)
Welcome to the ghetto.

Wanted to share my ghetto basement setup. Think the light is too high off the tank? It's a 36watt AH Supply kit. I wanted to raise it off the tank a bit, and I like the way it looks.

I remember Rex mentioning something to the fact that DIY doesn't always turn out cheaper and something about an inferior product... It is level though!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 03:22 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
oh my. i think it's cool. probably would be better painted over but it's definately different. why didn't you just do the conduit bars?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

Conduit bars never crossed my mind. Well, maybe next time.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by edacsac View Post
Conduit bars never crossed my mind. Well, maybe next time.
That's usually the way of it, isn't it ? You could've gotten away with a smaller diameter using the conduit rather than PVC. But it looks like it does the job and that's the important thing. And it looks good to me! I think If I were you I'd leave that light up there for now and see how the plants do, you can always drop it a bit later. I think it looks good like that.

I think a lot of times we do DIY because we can't find exactly what we what or what we want is outrageously expensive. Emphasis on "outrageous" since as Rex pointed out DIY isn't always cheaper, especially if you factor in your time.

On the other hand, if you go in with the mindset that "This might not work," it's always fun and a "learning experience" (I've learned so much I ought to be able to write an encyclopedia by now .)

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
lol i like it, now all you need is some pvc tables, to complete the look. i had a freind that used to build all kinds of stuff out of pvc.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 01:13 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like your setup. The PVC provides the perfect place to hid wires for various equipment without detracting from the appearance too much. As for the lights suspended above the tank. I have multiple tanks with defferent setups. I really like having the light suspended above the tank as opposed to resting on the lid. This makes getting into the tank simple and well lit so that you can see what you are doing. It is however a comprimise, the higher you put the light the more out of your way it is, but the less light gets into the tank. On my large tank I have the light suspended 12" above the tank. For the most part this is a good height, but I have to admit that I have bumped my head on the light a couple times. You can always compensate for the extra light loss due to the height by using brighter lights.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I really like it! Is the fixture hanging with wire from the PVC? If you rigged up a type of chain hanging from the PVC you could raise the light to work in it using an 'S' hook, and then lower the light to provide higher intensity for the plants the rest of the time.

The conduit pipe works well when you have a wooded stand to mount it too, don't know if you would have been able to do that here with the iron stand. Might look better if you spray paint it black, it may be less visually obtrusive.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I actually don't mind how it looks. It is in my basement. I was pondering condiut bars, but I'm afraid to drill into the cheesy stand. I'm afraid I'd make it weak. But if I setup another one next to it I'd want it to look the same, and it would be hard to do - with the flexing of the pvc and all.

I wonder how much my 36watt light is worth raised up like it is.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode