What ingredient to increase to get more Co2 output? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What ingredient to increase to get more Co2 output?

I am about to make a second batch of DIY yeast co2, i want to make more bubbles produce from my bottles. Do i increase the amount of yeast or the amount of sugar to get this to happen? If someone would describe to me what the yeast and sugar do in this reaction it would be helpful. I.E., does the yeast eat the sugar, and the more sugar make the reaction last longer? The more yeast means there will be more co2 produced? I am a little confused, the recipe i am using is for a 1 litre: 1 Cup sugar, 1/4 tsp baking yeast, 1 tsp baking soda, and the water. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Damian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Bigger bottle with proportionally more fuel (yeast, sugar, etc).
Alternatively, a series of several smaller bottle connected to a single final line.
Keep you bottles warm so the production is on optimum speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
what may increase total yeast production would be switching from bakers yeast to brewers yeast because brewers yeast can survive nearly double the alcohol percentage that bakers yeast does.

some have stated that adding whey protein powder may increase Co2 production, but the difference may be subtle because I have tried this trick using Muscle Milk powder, and have not noticed any different.

what may prolong yeast production would be adding half a packet of any flavor Jello powder mix to your Co2 recipe and leaving your bottle in the fridge overnight so the Jello can firm up before adding your yeast in the morning and hooking up your diffuser. the gelatin may slow down the yeast from getting at the sugar all too quickly, thus extending their production lives.

an idea I came up with that seems to prevent the sugar from clumping at the bottom of the bottle where the yeast can not get at it all, is to drop in a plain wooden Chinese restaurant chopstick, which is easy to size to the height of your bottle by simply breaking off any excess wood to keep it about 2" below the bottle mouth. I find when I add a chopstick after a few weeks of Co2 production I get an even slurry out of my bottle, instead of a hard clump caked into the bottom of my bottle.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 06:22 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I increased the amount of Yeast from 1/4 to 1/2 in small hagen canister and seams to bubble more. I am a rookie tough. so ? It may burn out faster?
My recipe is same as yours just 1/2 now and did not add the powder this time.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Increasing the amount of yeast will decrease initial production time and increase production quantity, but will shorten the lifespan of the batch....

HTH

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 02:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A few years back I got wanted to try to distill my own spirits. Of course, I gave that up real quick when I realized that I could spend a lot less money and time just buying the stuff myself (not to mention the lack of blindness). Moonshine=Bad.

I believe that brewers yeast is certainly a solution because we usually add more sugar than needed and alcohol kills yeast before it metabolizes all the sugar. My water is almost distilled, except it has 0.5 ppm phosphate (figures, good ole' NC swamp water) so I add a teaspoon of baking soda per 2L bottle to buffer.

Back to the original story, I read that table sugar (which I use) is no good for fermentation because it is pure sucrose and completely lacking in nutrients. Distillers forum users suggest that you use brown sugar, molasses, or dark corn syrup (like rum) for a more complete fermentation. In fact, jello may also add nutrients as well as prolong life like spypet says. certainly protein powder does that. If i can find a source of bulk airline connectors, I'd like to setup an experiment with various CO2 recipes, but chances are I will lose interest (sending me 6 or so will facilitate me doing this)

Brandon
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 01:24 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Faster CO2 production would come from having more yeast in the mixture, however it would exaust the food (sugar) faster creating more alcohol quicker and killing the yeast sooner. Keeping the bottle at a warmer temp from something like setting the bottle on top of the light fixture instead of behind or below the aquarium also speeds up the CO2 production. For reasons I don't quite understand, I found that at a warmer temp my DIY bottles also seemed to last a little longer in addition to having higher output. I would have thought that they would fizzle out sooner at the warmer temp. Just something else you may want to experiment with besides the recipe.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode