DIY Auto Top Off - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Talking DIY Auto Top Off

I have been doing some research on (A)utomatic (T)op (O)ff equipment as I have off and on had to leave for a day or so, I want to be prepared just in case. I used the usual search suspects to gather info even going to some favorite equipment sites looking at what they offer. i would prefer a good DIY so i can build in just what i want after reading some of the remarks on some of these ready to run ATO’s i wish to build one that do not have these faults. i also want to run this puppy using my Ardunio stuff I have two controllers that i have been building and one I plan to use. The fact this setup is a freshwater I am not sure if there are others who have done this and if so where to look any help, sites etc. will do.
Thanks
Doc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
I got my ATO setup (minus the reservoir) from auto top off dot com. The guy makes them DIY himself and he offers a bunch of different options. I've had mine running for over a year with no problems what so ever. You might save a few bucks buying all the pieces yourself, but I figured it would be faster for me to just order one from him.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 06:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)
I have actually been considering a JBJ ATO for cost effectiveness reasoning. Fairly cheap without all of the programming. If you already have the arduino then go with that for obvious reasons. JBJ seems cheap and solid (based on my previous purchases of their equipment and reviews). I am planning on just remineralizing a 5g bucket of RO H2O and using the ATO to refill the Main tank as needed. Power Outages are also always a concern...

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
My kits from AutoTopOff.com (he put together a few nano kits for me) have been running since 2010 with no issues at all.

Finalplay10: Why are you remineralizing top-off water? When water evaporates, solids stay behind, eventually causing hardness and TDS creep. Most people use straight RO for topping off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)
Yeah... We're just going to pretend I didn't post anything last night

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
i looked and really like the autotopoff.com design and the options supplied i figure i will go with them thanks for the link to them.
doc

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode