DIY co2 problem, help please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY co2 problem, help please

I set up two, 1 litre bottles on the 28th of December, and today, January second, the bubbles stopped climbing my ladders. The Co2 stopped coming out all together. I used a recipe that should last atleast two weeks, if not three. The recipe is one cup of sugar, and 1/4 TSP baking yeast. mixed those into the liter bottles and filled them up with luke warm water until the water level was about three inches below the top. Then i shook the bottles vigorously and attached them to my cap with small hole and tubing. 1 day after i set up the bottles i had bubbles once every four seconds, now none at all. What happened? I know the best idea would be pressurized, but i would like to keep using the yeast method until farther down the road. Any ideas for a better, sure fire recipe that wont collapse on me, or any ideas why mine stopped producing?
All the feedback would be appreciated.
Damian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Now this is a classic case that people should have put FAQ on this one.
Several possibilities to troubleshoot:

1. Leaks. Check all of your connection. Make sure every joint, bottle cap, line connector, etc are tight and leak proof. (Hint : use soap foam or submerse under water and check for bubbles)
2. Extreme cold. Try repositioning your bottles to somewhere warmer, such as next to your lighting fixture. Too low temp will put all the yeast to sleep, CO2 production drops down to very little.

Your recipe is already correct and you may continue that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Also check to see if your lines are clogged. You could be building up some pressure so careful when opening (think shaken bottle of soda).

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
I failed to notice earlier, seeing on the date of making the DIY CO2 recipe, it is just natural that your output is going down fast right now. Check if the solution is a bit reddish and getting clearer (a sign of yeast death due to alcohol concentration and fuel burning out). If you put in a fresh new batch of recipe and see if it works, then you have no problem at all on the system.

Usually mine will run out within a week or so and it would be time to replace the fluid with a new one.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 04:17 PM

PTrader: (22/100%)
Yea it definitely sounds like you have a leak. I recommend using aquarium sealant instead of a rubber stopper to connect the tubing to the bottle cap.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
You may have a leak, but 1 cup of sugar doesn't sound like much. So, I would say that regardless of anything else: Life expectancy shouldn't be much--Yes, more than 4 days though. You may also want to check the temps where the bottles are sitting. If they are too low or too low at night (winter time) then that may also stall your production. I've always had very good luck with DIY C02, but some batches just don't take.....

Check for leaks, check the temps (at night too) and double your sugar. The 1/4 Tsp of Yeast is good (slower start, but longer to finish). If You are not adding any Baking soda--Try a 1/4-1/2 tsp.

HTH

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

- Thanks for the feedback so far!

What does the baking soda do with the yeast recipes? The temp in my house stays at about 70 degrees during the night. The water is not reddish, but it is getting clearer the longer the yeast brews. I shook up the bottles and they are producing again... Is this normal to have to shake the bottles to keep the system producing?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 04:05 AM
Algae Grower

Only thing I can think to add that wasn't mentioned is to bleach your bottles every charge. You might have gotten bacterial contamination. Works for brewers.

Sodium (in the baking soda) hinders the growth rate of the yeast.

As for shaking, sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Just my own personal experience it's only helped for a few hours; I think basically the bottles are telling me it's time for a redo.

In the micro lab we usually kept culture suspensions mixed using shaker tables or mag stirrers. Keeps the bugs and nutrients mixed properly. But I haven't had that issue with my 2L yeast bottles.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode