10g Stand/Canopy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
10g Stand/Canopy

Well before I start I want to say this might be a while before I start it but I want to get your opinion and answers. Now here are some of the questions I have:

What is a canopy?
How big should the canopy be?(Measurements please)
Would the canopy sit on top of the tank itself or needs a support?

Now here are the measurements for the stand. Make any corrections if you want(Im 16 and dont have that much experience with measuring lol).

Height-37"
Length-22"
Width-12"

Draws-9"(Length) x 4"(Height)
Doors-10"(Length) x 24"(height)

There will be shelves in there and I think I need them like a half an inch thick and about 22" long and 10" wide. Do these measurements sound good?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
Ok here is a cut list for you. I got this from Geothermal Aquaculture Research Foundation Home Page go there if you want to see their pictures and once you get there scroll down on the left until
you get to diy then click it then click stand building and type in your dimensions

I bet you can make a shelf you might just need more wood and another sheet of plywood

A canopy is basically a place to put your lights ex: retrofit kits. it normally covers the whole top of the tank and hides the trim. you can install other things like fans in them.

Stand Dimensions:
Stand Height = 37"
Stand Width = 12"
Stand Length = 22"

Cut List:
Top Frame:
2 - 2 x 4 x 22
2 - 2 x 4 x 9

Bottom Frame:
2 - 22 x 2 x 4
2 - 2 x 4 x 9

Uprights:
4 - 2 x 4 x 37

Stand Top:
1 - 3/4 inch plywood - 22 x 12

Aquarium Stand Construction Procedure
a. Inspect all pieces for rough or flawed edges. Sand as needed.
b. Lay out boards for top frame.
c. Screw the end boards and supports to front and back pieces
d. Lay out boards for bottom frame.
e. Screw the end boards and supports to front and back pieces
f. Screw the upright boards to bottom frame.
g. Screw the upright boards to the top frame.
h. Put the 3/4" plywood top on the stand.
i. Cover the stand with your choice of covers i.e 1/4 inch finish plywood.

- Fishlover
My Tanks :
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Alright.....Confused lol. I am still not sure what each cuts are. Is there a way for you to simplify a bit lol. Sorry I a DIY impaired when it comes to building.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Bump...I cant seem to understand this. Read above post.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
For a small tank, I recommend just buying one. All the pieces of wood and tools might make it more expensive than just buying one. For larger stands, by all means DIY. =)

Oh, and think of a canopy only if you want to get an AHSupply retrofit kit for your 10 gallon. No T5 retrofits will fit (T5 bulbs come in ~24", ~36", and ~48", not counting the disposable Helios kits). If you're not thinking of an AHSupply kit, go open or glass-top since most fixtures, ie: Coralife, Current USA will fit over over/glass top tanks.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
What tools and equipment do you have available to use to make a stand? And, what experience do you have with woodworking?

A ten gallon tank isn't very heavy, so it doesn't take a very strong cabinet to hold one. You can make a completely satisfactory cabinet from 3/4 inch thick plywood or MDF - a box, open in the front. Then add a 4 inch wide strip across the top of the front opening to brace it against twisting, and install a door or shelves or drawers. Join the pieces with 2" long finishing nails and yellow wood glue. The back can be 1/4 inch thick plywood or hardboard.

Hoppy
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah they have a $39.99 that is cast iron and open for everyone to see. I could get a skirt but the think is that it dont match whats in my room(Wood) They also have some wood stands for a 20g that might be out of my price range for now. But I see what you are saying about it being cheaper.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
What tools and equipment do you have available to use to make a stand? And, what experience do you have with woodworking?
Well my friend's dad has experience since he is a contractor and he said he will help. He has all the tools needed. I cant remember all the tools though Im slow bout that kinda stuff lol.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
For a canopy see DIY Enclosures

Hoppy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the link. I am sending it to my friends dad now to see if he has some of these items.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
oops sorry for not responding to you earlier but hoppy and epicfish answered most of your questions. i don't actually have a stand for my 10 gallon its just on a sturdy table.

- Fishlover
My Tanks :
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_lover0591 View Post
oops sorry for not responding to you earlier but hoppy and epicfish answered most of your questions. i don't actually have a stand for my 10 gallon its just on a sturdy table.

Yeah my tank is on an end table that holds my weight(279). Its quite sturdy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode