DIY external filter (Modified with second jar) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY external filter (Modified with second jar)

Hi friends..

I got an idea about my DIY external filter that I made and share here before.

First of all filter works great. Tank is very clean, water is crystal clear and fishes and plants are very happy I guess.

But when I clean the filter, -as you know- we have to be gentle to biological filtering media such as ceramic rings. So I add second jar just for using as biological filtering.

I haven't changed my filter medias and order of media yet. But when next cleaning I will use first jar as 50% mechanical (sponge and filter floss), 50% biological filtering (ceramic ring and/or other bio-medias). And second jar will be used for 100% biological filtering.

I have three main purposes
  1. Gain bigger bio-filter area
  2. Easy cleaning without disturbing bio-media
  3. Better filtering at the end.

If you have any suggestion or comment, I'll be glad to hear.

Thanks for visit..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turkish boy from Hong Kong...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I feel this thread should be in the journal section instead of the DIY section. For you just posted pictures. I thought the purpose of DIY thread was to explain a DIY project, not just show it. I don't understand what you did for a motor.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 05:04 AM
Planted Member

yeah, where/what is the pump or whatever moves the water through the system?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ahh yes powerhead motor is just behind the pink head of the jar on the left. Its hailea, it can work inside and outside of water. Super silent.
http://www.hailea.com/e-hailea/product1/HX-6510.htm

I think its easy to understand how to make. Just make two holes on the jar, one is on the top and the other at bottom. Fix the hose to this holes with some garden hose fixtures (orange color) and fill up your jars with filter media. Turn the pump on!

Really so easy to make and very effective.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
Just make two holes on the jar, one is on the top and the other at bottom. Fix the hose to this holes with some garden hose fixtures (orange color) and fill up your jars with filter media. Turn the pump on!
What did you use to keep the garden hose fixtures in the holes?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
This will leak eventually at where the hose meet the plastic bottle. The silicone will come apart. You need a mechanical seal like rubber gasket with screw on fixtures. Glue seals will come apart.

Save your floor.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

First of all forgive me about my broken English...

I dont know how could you be sure about that "will leak" ??? Okay I am respectful your experiences and over 13K messages but at least you can ask "how did you fix that hoses to the jar?" first... And if you still think it will leak just let me know "hey I think this will leak, because.........."

Anyway you can see the picture below. Its two parts. It can screw from inside. And the hole on jar exactly fit with that fixture parts. Because I made a small hole first, and heat the edges up. And when plastic was still soft, I screwed that hose fixture. When plastic get cool down, it was already "almost" waterproof. because soft plastic squezed between two plastic parts. Finally I put some silicone around that place. It works over 6 months on my other tank. NO LEAK. NO PROBLEM at all...

Last edited by Gecko; 08-07-2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
What did you use to keep the garden hose fixtures in the holes?
That plastic fixtures (using as gardening hose fixture) working very well. It can turn 360 degree freely and no leakage.

And thank you to ask how I did, before you make a comment.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Algae Grower

May need to give this a try, only issue is getting jars big enough & ones that are water tight.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Each of them 5 liters. 10 liters capacity is much bigger than any recommended products for 85 liter tanks.

They are water tight. I tried few diferent jars but this ones only succesful. I also use some white teflon tape on the cap for extra safety. As I said before no problem for last 6 months.

Thank you for your comment

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky5 View Post
May need to give this a try, only issue is getting jars big enough & ones that are water tight.
Here in the states those jugs are water bottles sold in a department store in the summer section.

Now I get it. You didn't just use silicone to seal it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just silicone is not enough. Especially on plastic surface. I think here hong kong or there U.S. very easy to find this type of jars or bottles. Very cheap, easy to drill, but a bit ugly

Actually I can find very cheap external filters here. As you know hong kong and china very cheap. But diy suff are different. Good fun and when you finish and turn on, make you feel like "Steve Jobs" r.i.p.

Thank you for your comments

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode