Need advice on creating mount for Ray 2 using single piece of conduit - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Need advice on creating mount for Ray 2 using single piece of conduit

I bought a Finnex Ray 2 for my 20H gallon about a month and a half ago, but quickly realized that the light was way too bright for my tank. Hanging the light from the ceiling wasn't an option for me, so I needed to find a way to dim the lights. I ended up using 2 layers of screening, and this has served it's purpose well enough. However, a couple of things bother me about this set-up. First, I don't really know the PAR value of my screened Ray 2. Second, even with the Ray 2 mounts, the light distribution isn't even especially the closer we get to the surface. Currently, there's about 14" between the light and substrate, and I'd like to raise the light by 6-10".

I think I can get away with using one piece of conduit for this project. I don't want to mess with multiple bends, so my thought is to bend the conduit once at a 90 degree angle, attach the vertical end to my wooden stand with a couple of conduit hangers, and hang the Ray 2 from the horizontal part that extends over the tank. The reason I want to use only one piece is that I don't want to deal with the hassle of attaching the conduit to the back of the tank, which would require me to remove the tank. Anyway, that's the basic idea, but I have a few questions:

1. Will the conduit hangers clamp tight enough to prevent the mount from swinging forwards or backwards? I don't mind if I'm able to manually move it. I just don't want the mount to be loose and swing freely.

2. What's the best way to hang the fixture without drilling holes in the conduit? I'm thinking that another couple of conduit hangers can be attached to the horizontal portion of the conduit to serve as a base for the hanging mechanism, but I'm open to suggestions. The hole for the screws can be used to accommodate the actual hanging mechanism. Right now, my idea is to attach an S hook or an eye hook that can be threaded through the conduit hanger hole and then attach turnbuckles to those hooks. I don't know if there's a more elegant way to do this...

3. My last question involves finding the best way to create mounting clips/harness for my Ray 2 so that it can be attached to the hanging mechanism. This is a pretty small concern though.

I'm borrowing a conduit bender and pipe cutter from someone, so I expect the total out-of-pocket cost to be around $15. I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions. I plan on getting this project done within the next 7 days, and I'll make sure to post pictures of what I come up with. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Bump.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode