Sanding or Planing? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sanding or Planing?

What would be the best method to get a level flat surface on plywood. Should I sand it? or should I use a planer? It is minor imperfections that are getting me at this point and sanding seems to be causing me grief. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Using a power sander guided by hand is a very difficult method for achieving a "flat" surface. But, with some ingenuity you could make sled for the sander that would make it work well to flatten a surface. For example: attach very well aligned rails to the sides, and make a sled to be guided by those rails.

Hoppy
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Using a power sander guided by hand is a very difficult method for achieving a "flat" surface. But, with some ingenuity you could make sled for the sander that would make it work well to flatten a surface. For example: attach very well aligned rails to the sides, and make a sled to be guided by those rails.
haha I am not sure I would be able to accomplish this lol any other ideas hoppy? I am tempted to just throw some styrofoam down (only as thick as the trim on the tank) and call it a day

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Same goes for a hand held planer, but if the planer is a stand alone that would be your tool, you will most likely need to sand after the planning, that being said you should not have process plywood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so a hand held planer, which is what I would have, would not really make things any better than haha...darn it!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 03:13 AM
Algae Grower

I think I'd just buy cabinet grade plywood and call it a day. Home Depot usually carries it in small pieces in all different types of natural wood and fiber board.

so take that top 3/4 plywood off and just slap on some cabinet grade plywood eh

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-26-2013 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
American or Canadian (a+ or better) will be perfect, Home Depot is way to expensive and their quality is just ok. Find a lumber yard, not only are they experts, will have many different chooses, and for the most part will be more cost effective. Sure depending on what you get you might spend from under $100 to over $200 for the high end veneers, some even come finished in one or both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
If the concern is about slight gaps under the tank then weather stripping is a good and easy answer.

Trying to sand plywood for a totally smooth and level surface would require you to block sand it with a straight edge, total PITA! Creating plywood the roll cut or fletch cut verniers are pressed together during the gluing process. The different densities in the wood latter absorb moisture at various amount and swell differently (wavy grain texture). While sanding the pulpy softer layers are more easily removed then the dense grain aggravating the effect. Block sanding with a solid, straight and flat edged backing block holds the sanding grit even to the surface removing material at a more equal rate. Works great finishing a dining room table or parts for auto body repair but worth it for a tank stand?

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahammer View Post
I think I'd just buy cabinet grade plywood and call it a day. Home Depot usually carries it in small pieces in all different types of natural wood and fiber board.

so take that top 3/4 plywood off and just slap on some cabinet grade plywood eh
This is about the best one. The veneer on plywood is thin. You'd sand or plane through it in no time at all. Some oak I bought was really thin and before I knew it I was through the top layer.

As an aside, it's flitch. Best part it also refers to a side of uncut bacon.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
If the concern is about slight gaps under the tank then weather stripping is a good and easy answer.

Trying to sand plywood for a totally smooth and level surface would require you to block sand it with a straight edge, total PITA! Creating plywood the roll cut or fletch cut verniers are pressed together during the gluing process. The different densities in the wood latter absorb moisture at various amount and swell differently (wavy grain texture). While sanding the pulpy softer layers are more easily removed then the dense grain aggravating the effect. Block sanding with a solid, straight and flat edged backing block holds the sanding grit even to the surface removing material at a more equal rate. Works great finishing a dining room table or parts for auto body repair but worth it for a tank stand?
It's makes total sense. I think I have solved my problem. I have done this with my setup......floor-->stand-->plywood-->yoga foam mat-->1/4" cabinet grade plywood-->tank. She is now level with no imperfections. Hopefully this is an ok idea?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can anyone chime in to make sure what I did was "ok"
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
LOL but IDK! How thick is a yoga mat?
1/4" ply flitch or otherwise may bow under the weight of the tank frame compressing the foam under it, how much does the stand top extend beyond the base frame of the tank?

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The foam is maybe 1/2" and it is sitting directly on the 3/4 plywood which is fastened to the frame of the stand. The 1/4" plywood is sitting directly on the foam. I could try laying a thinner piece of mat like 1/4 inch and then the 1/4 inch plywood on top?

Or I could buy a 1/2 inch polystyrene rigid insulation and slap that on the 3/4 inch plywood then put the flat 1/4 inch plywood on top of the Styrofoam?

Last edited by Gafi; 07-28-2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: more info
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Planted Member

My 50 gallon long tank sits directly on top of 1" polystyrene insulation. The bottom of my tank looks the same as the tank in the post above and so far I have had no problems. The tank does not compress the polystyrene very much at all and it took care of all the slight imperfections that were in the top of the stand.

To conceal the edge of the polystyrene I used some 2" baseboard moldings. To make things a little more interesting to my eye, I made the polystyrene/molding bigger than my tank by 1 inch on each side. The molding is 1 inch taller than the polystyrene and I filled that open space with some extra substrate I had from the tank build. This creates the illusion of the substrate inside the tank continuing onto the outside.

My substrate is play sand so I made sure to tape the seams up before I added the sand to the outside.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhorde View Post
My 50 gallon long tank sits directly on top of 1" polystyrene insulation. The bottom of my tank looks the same as the tank in the post above and so far I have had no problems. The tank does not compress the polystyrene very much at all and it took care of all the slight imperfections that were in the top of the stand.

To conceal the edge of the polystyrene I used some 2" baseboard moldings. To make things a little more interesting to my eye, I made the polystyrene/molding bigger than my tank by 1 inch on each side. The molding is 1 inch taller than the polystyrene and I filled that open space with some extra substrate I had from the tank build. This creates the illusion of the substrate inside the tank continuing onto the outside.

My substrate is play sand so I made sure to tape the seams up before I added the sand to the outside.
Very interesting! I am leaning towards the polystyrene

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode