Diy----- Co2-----with Reservoir? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Diy----- Co2-----with Reservoir?

Can I build a DIY CO2 system with a reservoir and a solenoid valve? The valve would stop the CO2 from going to the aquarium at lights off stage, instead direct the CO2 flow into a water displacement float tank connected to the CO2 pipe via a T on the production side of the valve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You could. But there is a chance that something will burst. It will be the weakest link in the system. Your idea might work though.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
But there is a chance that something will burst.
Hi Rex Grigg

I have read your guide, and I am not attempting an explosion. I donít know how to post a diagram! So let me try a word picture.

The reservoir would be like an upturned open bucket. The inlet/outlet is a single pipe fitted to the normal bottom of the bucket (when upturned its now on the top). Along the collar of the bucket, use a molded lead rod having the desired weight for the pressure desired. When upturned the collar is at the bottom. Now put this upturned bucket in a let us say an empty 20 liter drum so that the entire bucket is submerged when you fill it up with water. Open the inlet/outlet valve, the inside of the upturned bucket is now filled with water.

When the supply side solenoid is closed during light off time, CO2 would displace the water inside the upturned bucket. If the volume of the CO2 produced during this closed time is greater than the reservoir, it would merely escape, bubbling out from under the upturned bucket. No explosion waiting to happen. Very simple, very low cost, a couple of empty containers, a T, CO2 pipe, some scrap lead melted into a bar and hammer molded.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

My understanding of CO2 solubility in water would suggest that you might have an empty bucket in the morning...

I think a few members have had some luck in controlling the diffusion mechanism (ie power head off at night) etc.

You could also heat the yeast to up production during the day.

Moved to Tucson.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRam View Post
My understanding of CO2 solubility in water would suggest that you might have an empty bucket in the morning...
Would not that be great, then do some changes and instead of gass supply the solution to the aquarium!

I think that problem could be solved by adding a inch of oil over the surface of the water in the float drum. The water might absorb CO2 into solution till saturation but the CO2 cannot escape into atmosphere.

Last edited by essabee; 12-09-2006 at 09:31 AM. Reason: add thought
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I don't think a DIY CO2 setup will produce sufficient volume during the "off cycle" to displace enough water to float the bucket. Also, I would think as soon as the solenoid opened, you'd get a rather large discharge of Co2 into the tank, even with a needle valve. There's no good way I can think of to regulate the pressure going into the needle valve. I could be wrong.

Tommy

><;;;"> <9))>>{

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

And you are wrong Tommy.
The pressure is determined by the weight applied to the bucket and the surface area of the mouth. Totally mathemitical.
What pressure to set is a question.
What discharge to fix with the needle is a question.
Can I retain the CO2 in the bucket is a question.
The adjustment of the flow of CO2 and production is a question.
But control is Not A QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.

Last edited by essabee; 12-11-2006 at 03:32 PM. Reason: CLARITY

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode