DIY CO2 Diffusion Methods? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 Diffusion Methods?

Hi Everyone,

This weekend I'm going to put together a DIY CO2 system for my 15 gallon tank. I was wondering what others are using as a diffusion method. Will a small glass diffuser work considering they need more pressure than a normal air stone?

Any recommendations to posts or articles would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
tagging along because I'm looking for a way for diffusing my DIY wine CO2, doesn't seem the air stone worked for me, but I may have too many leaks in my system that I need to fix first...

--Rob--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
If you have a HOB filter, then I'd just use a glass/ceramic diffuser. That's what I used when I did DIY. The little black fluval ones won't work because they require more pressure, but most of the cheapie ones on evil bay will get the job done.

If you have a canister filter, I'd make a cerges reactor. They cost about the same, diffuse more efficiently, and you don't have to put more equipment in your tank.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use a power head with the CO2 going into the input line. I get nice small bubbles that flow
across my whole tank.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzac View Post
I use a power head with the CO2 going into the input line. I get nice small bubbles that flow
across my whole tank.
Ditto!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Algae Grower

Put the co2 output into a powerhead or wavemaker input. pepole say that the corrosive nature of the co2 can wear out your pumps, but ive been doing it for forever using cheap pumps and there fine!

check out this vid on how to make the right recipe for your DIY set up

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 04:54 AM
Planted Member

I took the pointy end of a bamboo skewer, inserted it into my co2 line so about an inch stuck out, and sealed it on with hot glue.

It forces the co2 down the flutes of the bamboo and makes a nice stream of small bubbles. I let mine hang in front of a pump/powerhead output so the bubbles don't bunch up and form larger bubbles. It works really well for me, the bubbles that make it to the surface are too small to pop (pinpoint sized), so they just sit there.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 12:47 AM
Algae Grower

I'm using an airstone, but it's under a top of a small water bottle(like a dome). The co2 bubbles rise and get trapped in the bottle top for at least a minute. Also I poked some holes in the bottle cap so when enough gas builds up it bubbles out the holes. Anyone else have an opinion on this method?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 12:54 AM
Algae Grower

My DIY method, works great, I have the filter head face the tube & it keeps the bubbles in the top spinning around.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (361/100%)
I use atomic diffuser/ nano glass diffuser and place Hagen mini elite filter on top of it. I got double diffusion.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 01:50 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by herns View Post
I use atomic diffuser/ nano glass diffuser and place Hagen mini elite filter on top of it. I got double diffusion.

Must have extra cash to throw around too.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (361/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Must have extra cash to throw around too.

They are cheap.

Mini Elite on Amazon is about $7 when I got hem. I bought 4 so I got free shipping over $25.

I currently use nano glass diffuser about $4 on e bay. free shipping. so total is only $11.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 02:13 AM
Algae Grower

I use a powerhead aswell and Mann does it break the co2 real fine.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:

I thought atomic diffusers need high pressure to work? (didn't think DIY would suffice)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 02:59 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
They are cheap.

Mini Elite on Amazon is about $7 when I got hem. I bought 4 so I got free shipping over $25.

I currently use nano glass diffuser about $4 on e bay. free shipping. so total is only $11.
Hmm. Not bad at all. Sounds like you have some nice co2 going! How are your plants doing with it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode