Best 4 litre bottle for DIY yeast CO2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best 4 litre bottle for DIY yeast CO2?

I'm having a heck of a time with my DIY yeast CO2 reactor. I have a 4 litre bottle, one of those milk jugs, and it just doesn't get airtight. No matter how much teflon tape or hot glue I put on it, I can hear a hissing sound, and the tube stays with a water level about 5 cm under my water line.I've done this twice now, with the same results....I need something better, with an airtight seal. Any brands with a good bottle that people have used? Oh, btw 4 litres is about a gallon.

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 05:04 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
When I did it, I used a gallon plastic gas can and glued a nipple on it.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 05:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
A milk jug won't hold any pressure. The cola bottles work well because the contents are under pressure, thus requiring a stronger seal. You could use 2x2 litre bottles tee'd together. This would give you a more stable co2 content as long as you change the bottles on different weeks.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
How about those bigger chemical bottles? I think they should not leak (of course hazard should occur when they leak with strong, sometimes corrosive chemicals inside, so likely is safe) or hiss under slight pressure. Just be sure to try ex bottles of the safer content, like HCl or such and clean it well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Along the lines of what medicineman says above, do a search for "carboy" on google or ebay. I use a 3.5 gal carboy for the air powered top off on my reef tank. It has a rubber gasket seal. I would choose plastic over glass carboys due to safety concerns.

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick replies:

I work in a lab, so I have access to some larger bottles. However, this has to go in a small space, so 4 litres is probably the largest footprint i have to work with. I can probably go higher. I will look into a Y connector for the cola bottles, as the one I had before worked quite well. I like the idea of being able to change the bottles on different weeks.

Thanks,

Adam

...I'll do it this afternoon, so I can let you know how it goes.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
You can get 1 gallon carboys, although I'm not sure if you could get them in plastic.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I have a 3-4 liter juice bottle that is working very well. Grapefruit juice purchased from Costco actually. I liked it better than a soda bottle, as the base was wide and flat, so it was much more stable. It also had a wider lid which was easier to drill. I've used both, and the juice bottle is much better.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
i have been using the hawaiian punch drink bottles and its about 4L

FUNction over form

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 05:31 PM

"You can get 1 gallon carboys, although I'm not sure if you could get them in plastic."

They have plastic carboys here:

Plastic Tanks, Plastic Buckets, Plastic Bottles and Labware, DVD Cases - United States Plastic Corporation ®

Expensive, though.

I'd rummage around the rest of thier site, they probably have something else cheaper.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

I had to ask around, but I found 3 empty 2L pepsi bottles. I drilled holes in the top, and sealed the hosing in with hot glue. I bought a 3 input, 1 output gang valve for ~$5, some sugar and yeast. 2 cups of sugar per bottle, and a 1/2tsp and a bit of yeast. Nothing yet, but the bottles are pretty fresh. 6L of DIY CO2 in total. Anyone know how long it takes for the bubbles to start?

Adam
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 12:27 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
I like the 1 gallon gatorade jugs--flat base, wide opening, handle.

Edit: Rex's tip of making the hole a little too small works better than any connector I've tried.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhaulena View Post
Anyone know how long it takes for the bubbles to start?
If you have good (viable) yeast and started out with warm water it should start foaming within 20 minutes. The warmer the ambient temp the faster it'll start flowing CO2 out.

—Bill

|
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 12:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by observant_imp View Post
I like the 1 gallon gatorade jugs--flat base, wide opening, handle.

Edit: Rex's tip of making the hole a little too small works better than any connector I've tried.
I only use the gatorade bottle.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 01:10 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
sorry to ask such a fundamental question but;

assuming you use the same ratio
of sugar:water than a smaller bottle,
does a larger DIY bottle give you
MORE volume of Co2 to diffuse in your water
(so you could handle a larger tank)
or for a LONGER Co2 available Duration,
(so you could go 5 weeks instead of 3)
or a little of both?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode