What is a good wood Finish for Oak - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (9/100%)
What is a good wood Finish for Oak

Hello,

I am a real newbie to wood working. Even so I took a change and started building my own tank stand. I have use Oak for the outside visable surfaces. I am almost done with it and now I need to decide what finish or stains to use.

I am looking for suggestions thanks.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
If it were me, I'd just do a nice polyurethane seal. Oak has a nice natural color all on its own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt
I agree that it looks great natural. Most of my house (cabinets, entertainment center, desks, bookshelves, etc) are oak in a natural finish.

That being said...get the Helmsman Spar finish from Minwax (or equivalent).

Quote:
Ideal for: Doors, windows, trim, bathroom cabinets, bar tops, kitchen countertops and outdoor furniture

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I prefer to finish oak in a clear finish too. I think it looks best if the first coat is an oil finish, like what is sold as "Danish Oil Finish". That gives the wood a depth of color that just polyurethane doesn't give. Just be sure to make the next coat a de-waxed shellac sealer - which is now sold as a universal undercoater. Then, add at least three coats of polyurethane. If you want to spend the time doing it, you can achieve a mirror like finish by starting with a filler coat that fills the pores of the wood, but that is a lot of work and there is a technique involved. I only did that on one project - an oak hope chest.

Hoppy
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
If you apply nothing but a sealer/Polyurethane on red oak plywood it will have a very strong "Gold" color to it, better do a test piece to make sure that is what you want to live with.

Provincial or Special Walnut are nice colors on red oak, go to local hardware store to test some sample colors if you want to go that indepth.

What are the colors of the surrounding pieces of furniture etc.

Minwax

Craig

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggetions. I have a sofa with some walnut trim near the tank and a nice desk made from cherry. I think both are much darker than a natural oak.

I think I want to darken it up a bit not a lot. Turbo suggested a minwax product thanks. I looked at their web page and they have a one step product that stains too. Minwax

Has anyone use this before?

Rick
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrguymon View Post
". . .Has anyone use this before?"

Rick
Yes. Do NOT use it! It is very hard to get a good finish with it, and it's very opaque in appearance. I would be willing to bet that even the "natural" finished oak some of the other posters have mentioned have at least a "golden oak" stain on it.

If you want a darker finish (and it sounds like you do) go with one of the darker stains. Take one of your scraps and finish that first to make sure it's what you want. No turning back once you stain it! For a finish what I use is a "wiping" type poly which in my case is just the regular gloss poly thinned down (either 50/50 poly/mineral spirits, or 70/30 poly/mineral spirits depending on how much time/work you want to put into it.) This is cheaper than what they sell as "wipe-on" poly (and just about the same thing!) and works just as well. *But* it will take many coats. I typically put on at least six. More is better. One plus on gloss is that you don't have to stir the stuff. Tone your finish down with a bit of fine steel wool if you don't want that high shine.

Of course, "Your Mileage May Vary," I'm just getting into finishing myself.

Slinte!
Cindy

-
2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt
I have used it. I still recommend the Spar as it's made to withstand the water better.

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Also with Oak if you are looking for a glossy finish use a sanding sealer, saves you a little time and a few less coats or poly. It helps close up the grains of open woods like oak

|
|
|
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Natural finish: blonde shellac, water-based polyurethane or lacquer. The shellac will have a slight amber and will have little resistance to moisture. You will need to raise the grain first if you use the water based finish. It's not a problem but you have to do it.

Warm, amber finish: Anything with oil in it. Watco dainish, tung, etc. Oil-based poly will give the same sort of color. The oils will penetrate and do not give the hard finish, but they are easier to repair when there's damage. The mix of mineral and poly is good. You can even add one-third tung, polyuerthne and mineral spirits and wipe the finish on.

Stains: I hate the thin stuff because it can blotch and the tone is sometimes difficult to control. I never use it unless absolutely necessary. When I do, I use gel stains that wipe on.

Get some 000 and 0000 steel wool so you can smooth out your first coat. One other nice thing about watco or tung oil is that you can use fine SiC sand paper (320-, 400- or 600- grit) to sand the finish. The residue will fill in the gaps and open pours. It acts like a natural filler. This is what I would do.

Lots of ways to go my friend.

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

OK thaks all I am learning alot. What about this Danish oil for the first coat oil and stain? Rust-Oleum Brands - Stopping Rust is Just the Start
Im thinking about getting the light walnut.

Hoppy then says to use shellac over the top of the danish as an undercoat. Which is confusing because it is going on top of the Danish oil? I guess it is an undercoat for the minwax polyurethane which goes on last?

Rick
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Shellac, when it is the dewaxed kind, is a universal undercoat or sealer. Every other finish will adhere well to it. Polyurethane, at least the water based type, does not stick well at all to oil based finishes or undercoats. So, you use the shellac to cover such first coats and give a good surface for the polyurethane to stick to. Look for "Zinsser Bulls Eye Seal Coat", which I think most hardware stores stock now. It is dewaxed shellac.

Hoppy
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks. I found this link about Danish Oil. I think I will try this and see how it looks. I may not need to cover it with poly?

http://home.insightbb.com/~jpaquay/oil_fin.txt

Rick
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
You don't have to coat danish oil with anything unless you want a hard surface film. The oil by itself is a finish used on fine custom furniture. If you get a blemish, just rub in a little more oil or sand out the mark and oil it again. You will never see the repair. You can't do that with a top coat and look right.

Mass produced stuff has a top coat finish, but usually not anything you can buy or would want to put on your project. It's fast drying and cheap as dirt. Anything you put on will be better. There are lots of choices. As stated previously, if you want to use water-based poly on top of oil, you will have to seal the oil. Make sure it's dry before you seal it. If you use oil based, the sealer isn't as critical.

I'm sure whatever you use will look just fine.

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode