DIY CO2 starts syphon by itself. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (6/100%)
DIY CO2 starts syphon by itself.

I whipped up a diy co2 setup via the instructions on Rex's site. Good thing I took a quick look before I left to go out tonight, because it started a syphon from my tank back into the diy co2 setup all by itself. Of course the yeast haven't kicked off yet so there is no pressure, but what will happen when the fermentation finishes while I'm at work or something? I understand gravity and syphoning, but usually you need to start the syphon before it starts syphoning. Water temp difference or something creating a vacuum? I'm not a phyiscs guy, so I don't know... I'm not so sure I want to use a diy co2 setup now. I can't get the setup higher than the tank, or even higher than the limewood bubbler for that matter, without getting unsightly and obscuring the front of my tank with a table stacked with books to raise the setup. I had planned for everything to live under the tank so to speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
You need a check valve so CO2 will be allowed into the tank, but water will not be allowed to pass back into your DIY setup.

Regards,
Barry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Member, Minnesota Aquarium Society
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
...do you have a check valve?

Through Rex's site, I found: DIY CO2 System for Planted Aquarium
"It is also important that water is not allowed to run back down the line by suction or siphoning. This problem is easily remedied with the use of a check valve."

=)

Last edited by epicfish; 11-19-2006 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Darn it, ninja posted by banderbe!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
If you don't use a check valve, you'll need to wait until the mixture starts producing CO2 before hooking it up to the tank. At the very least, let it warm up to room temperature because if the bottles contents are cooler than room temperature, it will naturally create a pressure difference and suck out your aquarium water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Ooh, I didn't se the fancy setup. I started much lower on the page with the simpler diagram. No, I don't have a check valve, and have no clue where I would get one (outside of waiting for one to be shipped).

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
...do you have a check valve?

Through Rex's site, I found: DIY CO2 System for Planted Aquarium
"It is also important that water is not allowed to run back down the line by suction or siphoning. This problem is easily remedied with the use of a check valve."

=)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PetSmart, PetCo, any LFS. Just check for "airline check valve". It prevents water from getting to your airpumps. PetSmart - Top FinŽ Aquarium Check Valve

You can also order brass check valves from Rex too, "In-line CO2 check valve. Fits standard air line tubing. $12 Free shipping." on CO2 Stuff For Sale

At $12, I just buy regular plastic check valves and replace them out every year...costs maybe $1.15 for each plastic one at my LFS. The reason why you should replace/check them every so often is that CO2 can degrade the plastic/rubber in the check valve and might cause it to leak.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Sweet, thanks! I guess the co2 will have to wait until tommorrow.

In the guide I noticed the check valves are present above the fermentation vessels. Wouldn't a valve be better placed farther downstreem in the co2 system?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The check valves and needle valves (if present) should be placed as close to the tank as possible since you want to prevent the water from even starting to siphon.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Gotchya. Makes sense now. Like I said, physics isn't a strong point for me.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 03:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

if you have enough tube length, you can just hang the tube above the tank and it wont rise much above the water line. i have mine a couple of feet higher than my tank hanging over a tack in the wall. have your tubing all set up and use another cap to mix and shake the bottle. then screw the bottle into your tube set up
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGee View Post
if you have enough tube length, you can just hang the tube above the tank and it wont rise much above the water line. i have mine a couple of feet higher than my tank hanging over a tack in the wall. have your tubing all set up and use another cap to mix and shake the bottle. then screw the bottle into your tube set up
Thaks AlGee, I think I'll try that...

Another thing though, it's several hours later and nothing from the yeast. I brew wine, so I usually have no problem getting a fermentation going, but not this one. And from my own experiences, those recipes are way to much sugars for such a little amount of yeast - at least as far as brewing goes, but yeast is yeast. I've had some hard starts when making sweet wine with alot of sugar and using a very high gravity tolerant yeast, but that recipe is even more than a hard starting sweet wine. Maybe I misread it. Or amybe it's because it's related to planted tanks, since I haven't managed to anything right in relation to this hobby yet.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

maybe you killed your yeast? but you say you have experience with brewing prior, so i don't know.

my setup:
2L bottle
2 cups sugar in
luke warm water about just an inch above the bottle label
shake well
mix about 1 teaspon yeast in luke warm water til dissolved
pour into bottle, shake well
screw into tube setup

i get bubbling maybe an hour later
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

I did:
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
yeast per instuctions.

Yours sounds alot more resonable, with the extra water you have.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

not sure how or why the amount of water would make a difference. ive always used that approximate amount. ive never had a problem with startup. only when i used smaller amount of yeast it took longer to get going.

hope you can get it started. good luck!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Soon I will be donating all this crap to a good home...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode