co2 diy - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 219
co2 diy

so i was wondering how to make one of these as whenever i try growing plants they just die in the next month or so. Thanks in advance
silvertiger3450 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 02:23 AM
Planted Member
 
Gplus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 228
Doing a simple search on google or this website will yield many DIY posts on how to make simple co2 reactors. Heres one:https://www.plantedtank.net/articles/DIY-CO2-Reactor/2/

Other than that search "diy co2 reactor" on google

"One generation plants the tree, the next generation gets the shade"
Gplus is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
chocological's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 357
Pretty sure he's talking about the yeast bottle method, and not a reactor. Either way, using google is sound advice.
chocological is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 219
ya the yeast bottle method was the thing i wanted
silvertiger3450 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Planted Member
 
Gplus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 228
This website is extremely useful if you know what to look for. Next time your looking for anything check the article section its absolutely the best thing to start off with. Sometimes you can get your answer quicker than posting a question. Here is a DIY Yeast co2 article from the article section of this website.
https://www.plantedtank.net/articles/DIY-Yeast-CO2/7/

Good luck!

"One generation plants the tree, the next generation gets the shade"
Gplus is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 219
is it really that easy just drilling a hole and a pipe leading out of it
silvertiger3450 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (84/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 21,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertiger3450 View Post
is it really that easy just drilling a hole and a pipe leading out of it
No, it isn't. The hole has to be quite a bit smaller than the OD of the tubing, or it will leak when you use it. Other than that, it is very easy. Or, you can buy one of these:


The famous bid-on-line website with a bay in it has these listed for sale at a nice price. If I ever do DIY CO2 again I will be using these just because I find it hard to avoid leaks where the hose goes through the cap.

Hoppy
Hoppy is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: nj
Posts: 219
how do u put the hose into the aquarium
silvertiger3450 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
No, it isn't. The hole has to be quite a bit smaller than the OD of the tubing, or it will leak when you use it. Other than that, it is very easy. Or, you can buy one of these:


The famous bid-on-line website with a bay in it has these listed for sale at a nice price. If I ever do DIY CO2 again I will be using these just because I find it hard to avoid leaks where the hose goes through the cap.
FYI to all interested in these DIY caps...

I work for an injection molding company in FL and brought these in to show our design engineers. They told me that mold design to make these is quite complex and they were impressed with the quality of the finish part.

The only negative comment was the cost of the part (a bit high in their opinion) but it's not likely anyone would be offering a cheaper alternative since they informed me that it would cost around $50K to build a mold to make this part.

I've been using them for a couple of weeks now and they are great. I highly recommend them even at the listed price.
muldune is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertiger3450 View Post
ya the yeast bottle method was the thing i wanted
Don't rule out the reactor method of DIY CO2. The reactor method has a natural start/stop mechanism while the yeast method is always on. I also found it to be a lot less messy/smelly than the yeast method.
To elaborate, there is a tube connecting the acid & base bottles which acts like a siphon between the two once you get it started. As reaction progresses, the siphon action is suppressed by the back pressure of CO2. When you consume enough CO2, the siphon starts again adding more acid to the base, starting the reaction again.
Because of this, I can turn it off at night and not worry about building up too much pressure or wasting CO2 by letting it vent into the air.
The only "maintenance" I do is ocassionally give the base bottle a light shake if I see the pressure getting low (1kg/cm2) but it usually stays around 1.5-2kg/cm2 on its own.
muldune is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
du3ce's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: colorado
Posts: 1,054
are u suppose to add a check valve from your air line coming from your bubble counter into the tank into your co2 reactor?
du3ce is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (27/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldune View Post
FYI to all interested in these DIY caps...

I work for an injection molding company in FL and brought these in to show our design engineers. They told me that mold design to make these is quite complex and they were impressed with the quality of the finish part.

The only negative comment was the cost of the part (a bit high in their opinion) but it's not likely anyone would be offering a cheaper alternative since they informed me that it would cost around $50K to build a mold to make this part.

I've been using them for a couple of weeks now and they are great. I highly recommend them even at the listed price.
That's assuming they are made in the US. The tooling cost for two parts like that would be 4-5k USD in China. The interior threading is the only complicated aspect of the part since the exterior thread can be done with a straight pull (don't need crazy accuracy for this application)
Chronados is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2013
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldune View Post
Don't rule out the reactor method of DIY CO2. The reactor method has a natural start/stop mechanism while the yeast method is always on. I also found it to be a lot less messy/smelly than the yeast method.
To elaborate, there is a tube connecting the acid & base bottles which acts like a siphon between the two once you get it started. As reaction progresses, the siphon action is suppressed by the back pressure of CO2. When you consume enough CO2, the siphon starts again adding more acid to the base, starting the reaction again.
Because of this, I can turn it off at night and not worry about building up too much pressure or wasting CO2 by letting it vent into the air.
The only "maintenance" I do is ocassionally give the base bottle a light shake if I see the pressure getting low (1kg/cm2) but it usually stays around 1.5-2kg/cm2 on its own.
What is a reactor method?
wheeling is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Dan's85's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montrose, Co
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldune View Post
Don't rule out the reactor method of DIY CO2. The reactor method has a natural start/stop mechanism while the yeast method is always on. I also found it to be a lot less messy/smelly than the yeast method.
To elaborate, there is a tube connecting the acid & base bottles which acts like a siphon between the two once you get it started. As reaction progresses, the siphon action is suppressed by the back pressure of CO2. When you consume enough CO2, the siphon starts again adding more acid to the base, starting the reaction again.
Because of this, I can turn it off at night and not worry about building up too much pressure or wasting CO2 by letting it vent into the air.
The only "maintenance" I do is ocassionally give the base bottle a light shake if I see the pressure getting low (1kg/cm2) but it usually stays around 1.5-2kg/cm2 on its own.
Would you mind elaborating on this a little more? Do you have a write up some where on how to make one of these?

The Fraternity of Dirt #136
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech


40b tank journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10g NPT Betta tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dan's85 is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (84/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 21,015
The reactor method uses a kit sold on flea bay also. The details are there, and there is a thread here about it too. (I couldn't quickly find it, but remember it.)

Hoppy
Hoppy is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome