NeverWet: Is This DIY Magic? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Thumbs up NeverWet: Is This DIY Magic?

Saw it on Reef Builders:

I'm more excited about applications that don't involve using it inside the tank. So many possibilities for stands and equipment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Wow man. I wonder how breathable it is since they are using it on clothing and flammable wise. But that is amazing.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
That's incredible! I agree with you about the stand, there would definitely be no worries about water damage. I'm sure if it could be used on an iPhone it could be used on power strips/timers and other electronics, which would be nice IMO.

I would be a little hesitant to use it on my phone though lol

I literally love my aquarium(s).

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I wonder if you coated lily pipes with it (assuming it was safe), would that prevent them from getting nasty? Pretty fascinating stuff. I also wonder how long it lasts.

I'm sure there will be lots of uses for this.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

I wouldn't risk it with high-end pipes like those pieces of art from ADA.

Would be less apprehensive with cheap eBay pipes.

Really looking forward to coating some shelving and a work area in the tank room.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (132/100%)
So, if used in a shrimp tank for any reason, is it toxic?

Also, can this be used to coat items in a tank?

Will algae grow on this?

and
My thinking has been invert-ed!

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

No clue on toxicity, as I haven't seen a material safety data sheet yet.

Betting it's probably no worse than using spray paint in a tank.

That said - outside the tank possibilities seem endless.

Update: Also excited about the possibility of using this on the internals of cheap HOBs like those from RedSea. Could help extend time between cleanings on those cheap little impellers and on intake tubes.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I answered my own questions. For $20 it only covers about 10 feet. It has a topcoat that dries milky white as well- not clear. It doesn't hold up to uv and flakes off anything flexible. Also doesn't hold up to washing. Think I'll save my money for now.

If you want to read reviews: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleu...6#.UdmSUn84FCY

and

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 05:05 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
I saw this stuff a few months ago. Pretty amazing. I like the application for concrete tools. Stuff just falls right off the tools when its coated in that never wet stuff.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I wish I could coat my arm with it when I have to work in the tank.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Just picked some up to coat the work sinks in my tank room and in the basement.

Even if I have to apply it a couple times a year, the billions of hours I'm saving cleaning those two sinks is well worth $20.

Didn't inform my other half, so let's find out if I ever hear about what a great job I'm doing keeping those sinks spotless.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Give us an update, Jake. I'd be interested to know how it does for ya.

and

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/97%)
It's the same stuff as the magic sand, just something that makes objects hydrophobic. Youtube it, it's pretty cool to watch.

♡ Forever Farms Babydoll Southdown Sheep ♡
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think I remember a homemade version of the magic sand by using Static Guard on sand.

and

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Here's the MSDS for the topcoat: http://www.rustoleum.com/MSDS/ENGLISH/274234.PDF It is made of silicones and siloxanes. That makes me think that if the coating is properly cured it wouldn't harm anything in an aquarium. The idea that it could prevent algae from growing on hardscape items is very interesting!

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode