DIY Cave - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)
DIY Cave

Hey Gals & Guys,
So I want to make a cave to put under a hill I have made in my new 40B. Here is a picture of the hill here (its all the way to the right, sorry for the poor pic)...

As you can see the hill is pretty weak right now despite the 8 Crypt Nurii sitting on top of it that will eventually be badass (I have also begun to lovingly refer to it as "The Hill of Nurii"). I want to put some type of upside down container underneath it and then cover said container with aquasoil so that I have a rather large cave formation with none of the outer walls showing.

Questions:
1. What is this the best type of material to use for this cave? Is tupperware aquarium safe?
2. Can I use gorilla glue to adhere some aquasoil to the outside of the container prior to installing it in order to assist in the containers camouflage?
-If not what type of adhesive is more suitable?
3. What is the best method of insuring that the slopes are gradual rather than steep?

Thank you!!!

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 01:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would use a terra cota pot and just partially bury it. Large black oval slate rock could be used as filler
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am worried that I won't be able to completely hide a terracotta pot because of the steepness of the sides. I want there to be a cave but I don't want it to be visible unless I am looking in the front door.

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 02:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Ive used a black 2" PVC Tee or elbow before. Just silicone the pvc and sprinkle on some substrate so it blends in.

“We didn’t underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought.” -Bobby Robson

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I could do PVC but I was looking for a more cavernous effect

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalplay10 View Post
I could do PVC but I was looking for a more cavernous effect
Cutting the PVC in half might work

Five gallon Fluval Chi journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Too narrow for what I am looking for. Tupperware bowl would be ok but I am worried that it may have chemicals in it that will leech into the water column over time. Looking for a similarly shaped alternative.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If there is a michaels (arts and crafts store) near your area, Ive seen some 2" tall terra cotta pots there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

55 GAL DISCUS

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No unfortunately there is not

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Found a cichlid stone that I can use that suits my needs. Thanks for the help guys

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Have you ever seen the coconut huts people use for hermit crabs? I'm sure if you stick it in a bucket of water, it'll eventually sink (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It would also work perfectly for that color substrate and the slope matches your hill. I think it would work perfectly if you got it to sink.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had considered the coconut huts but I was worried I wouldn't be able to completely hide it. I found a grey cichlid stone that I will be able to spray black with the Krylon-esque paint I have. It has a front/back entry and is 4.4"x3.5" approximately. Should be perfect for what I have planned.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalplay10 View Post
I had considered the coconut huts but I was worried I wouldn't be able to completely hide it. I found a grey cichlid stone that I will be able to spray black with the Krylon-esque paint I have. It has a front/back entry and is 4.4"x3.5" approximately. Should be perfect for what I have planned.
Glad you found something that works!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
Why not use slate and make it customized to exactly what you want? Its like $1.50 a tile. I used aquarium sealant to hold mine together
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
just look up DIY backgrounds using styrofoam and use that method to make a cave, or a cave and a background

20L My Other Tank: OEBT Shrimp
40B Inlaws Tank: 2 goldfish
75 Main Tank w/ sump: 5 Glossolepis pseudoincisus, 5 Melanotaenia boesemani, 10 Melanotaenia praecox, 5 Melanotaenia lacustris, some cories, a bn pleco and rainbow fish fry

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode