Diy "controlled" yeast Co2 output. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to will5
Diy "controlled" yeast Co2 output.

First let me give some info on how i came up with this.
OK i setup your standard diy yeast Co2 setup that i use all the time. I even have 2 x 2liters on my 10 gallon that is up on top of a book/display case that is running great and my pH is at 6.4 in this tank. So i decide to go a head and setup 2x2 liter bottles for my 29 gallon and i did it just like i did the ones for my 10 gallon. But i got like 1 set of bubbles each time the bubbles came out at about 20-40 or even 50 seconds. Not good i thought so i added 2 more bottles and still the same results. So i took this hole setup up stairs to my bath room and filled my tub with warm water then stuck the hole setup with every thing stilled connected in the tub. With in a minute or two bubbles at a steady rate of about 1 set per second. So i placed my finger over the outlet to let the pressure build up so i could check for leaks which there were was not. So it came to me the only difference between the 2 setups were there height in the house and that there height was effecting. Well not the height directly but the temperature at the two different heights. One on the 10 gallon being very warm due to the fact the heat rises and down under the tank stand near the floor which is very cold. So cold in fact my feet loose felling from being so cold.

OK now the setup.

5 gallon bucket
submersible water heater
Air pump

First place the coke bottles in the bucket ( i have 4 bottles) then install the water heater. Then fill with warm water at about 90 degrees F. I have the watter filled just above the water yeast mixture in the water. The bottles will float around a bit but don't worry because the is not nearly enough room for them to lay flat in this bucket even if it was just one bottle. Next place the air line that is connected to the air pump so the air is bubbling up the side or right from under the water heater so as not to make a hot spot in the bucket.

Now the controlled part come with the help of the heater. If i want a higher Co2 ppm going into the tank then i just raise the temp on the heater and if i want a lower Co2 ppm i just trun down the heater. Not bad bad right.

Here is a pic of the setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by will5; 11-03-2006 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Sounds good. The yeast will be actively reproducting at the elevated temperature, and dormant, or at least less active at a lower temp. Be careful not to elevate the temperature too much as the yeast will die. Not sure what exact temp. is but someone else I'm sure will post that info if you don't already know.

Neat idea. Post more results as you get them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Sounds cool... it is simmilar to what I did to keep my brine shrimp warmed in a very cold house.

You could even put the heater on a timer maybe and that way slow down your reaction at night when you don't need to pump in the CO2, but it may be awfully hard on the heater to keep having to warm from very cold each morning.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

___
___

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
great idea!!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hi

Hi i will continue to play with the temperature until i get it just right and i will keep this thread up to date as i try different temps.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I'm sure there's a million variables, but maybe you can nail down something concrete...BBS vs. Temp...etc.

Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hi

First round

Time 2:14 pm central time. 11/3/06
pH6.8
KH 8d
Co2 38ppm
Temp 82 f
5 bpm = 1 set bubbles every 12 seconds ( bubbles always come out in groups of 3-5 each time it bubbles)

Last edited by will5; 11-03-2006 at 08:20 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 06:08 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice idea.
Maybe try a timer on the heater? Have it shut off about an hr. before lights shut off and an hr before they turn on?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 08:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Good Work, but sadly its just reinventing the wheel.....Here's something that I played with briefly about 6 months ago:

controlled-diy-c02-56k-warning

A number of others already use the bucket, water, heater setup, but I haven't seen it mentioned in a while.....

Good Job Though.....

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hi

I thought i had read about it before but i really was not sure. OK so credit goes to you for the first design. But this way is way cheaper and more simple.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Hi will5,

Mine is not the first design, nor am I looking for any kind of "Credit". I was just playing with an idea that already existed and a gadget that I already had--that's all. Some others have said that they can gain some control over their DIY C02 buy just running the heater on a timer with their lights. Apparently it gets cool enough in their place that the "Night Time Drop" cools things enough to slow down the yeast, hence the C02 production. Lights come on--heater too, things warm up, C02 production increases. I already had the Iceprobe collecting dust from a previous project, so I played with it. Sold the Iceprobe and went pressurized, but I still use DIY C02 on several other setups.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode