DIY Tank Stand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Tank Stand

Hello!

I'm in the planning stage of building a tank stand for a 65 gallon tank (36"L x 18"W x 24"H).

I'm having some trouble planning the inside layout and the skeleton and how it all fits together.

I want to have two drawers and two doors, does anybody have a stand like this?

Would you mind posting pictures of your tank stands (especially the insides) so I can get an idea of different arrangements?

I've gone to petstores and looked in stands but most of them seem very bare on the inside.

Does anyone have any suggestions for stands?

Thanks very much in advance!

Hilary

Ps: Does it matter if the tanks edges don't line up with the 2x4 skeleton?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can build a stand for a 65 gallon tank using 3/4" thick MDF - like the ADA style stands you see in other threads here. It is basically an open box with the opening to the front, with a 4" wide MDF board across the top of the opening to support the front of the top of the stand. This is a "European style" cabinet, in which you can install drawers, doors, etc. as you wish, using the appropriate hardware from here Kitchen - Hardware - Rockler Woodworking Tools for example. Then, you attach drawer fronts and doors, so the front of the stand and the drawer fronts/doors are flush. It is a simple, relatively easy way to make a stand, and can look great with a good finish on it.

Hoppy
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aquamanx
I built a stand & matching Canopy for my 75 Gal. It was pretty easy... I used a 2 x 4 Frame on the inside... Some say it's over kill, but, I think it's just safety precaution! ;-) I don't like MDF anywhere Near water, it acts like a sponge! At any rate, I didn't make one with drawers. But, I did just bulid one for my 45 Gal. which is also 36" long but, only 12" from front to back... It looks the same as the 75, still no drawers, But, I have shelves inside... No, i don't have a picture of the inside... Sorry!

If you are interested I may be able to post a print of the 75 Gal. stand, & you can change the measurements to make it the same as yours (the 75 Gal. has a 48" x 18" footprint)

Steve X.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

MDF is almost waterproof. House siding is made of MDF. Exterior trim is made of MDF. You are thinking of particle board, which is very bad when it gets wet, but MDF doesn't change unless it is soaked for a long time. I have tossed scraps into my scrap pile outdoors during the rainy season, and after 6 months of rain and soaking, they are still usable. Like any wood product you do have to apply a finish if you don't want it to eventually be damaged by water.

I also made a hood for my last aquarium, using thin MDF, finished with urethane varnish. In the 9 months I used it, there was no water damage.

Hoppy
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Nice stand!

I am trying to stay away from MDF, I had a particle board stand I had to replace on another stand and I see MDF as being very similar. I think I will sleep better at night with a solid wood one

A print of the 75 gal would be very helpful, dimensions I can figure out, just the general arrangement for the wood would be really helpful.

Thanks very much!

Hilary
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Have you check out Garf?

The got a step by step guide on there. All you have to do is input your calculations and start building away.

What I like about it, it also gives you a "cut" list that you can take to your local hardware store and they will cut the wood to your specifications!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Planted Member

PM me your E-mail I'll send it out to you in a PDF File. (unless there is another format you would like...)

I also have a "Cut List" on my print... Only for the 2 X 4's though...

For that stand I used solid "Tongue & Groove" Pine to "wrap" the outside of it. On others I used the same Idea, only I used less expensive "Bead Board" in 4' X 8' Sheets. Same look, half the price. I also used regular 3/8 (23/64) plywood underneith the bead board. This made the actualy thickness of the "covering" roughly 3/4" thick! Trust me, there is NO WAY it will break! I deffinately Over Engineered these stands... LOL!

Steve X.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 12:37 AM

Hi,
Just thought you might like to see the tank stand I built.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-bowfront.html

Completed
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...-pictures.html
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

How did you know how much wood you would need to support the tank?

It looks fantastic, it woudl definately be easier to do the drawers that way.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 03:38 AM
Planted Member

WOW! That looks Great! Only part that I'm not too fond of is the open front where you can see the equipment... Other than that it's Awesome!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
How did you know how much wood you would need to support the tank?

It looks fantastic, it woudl definately be easier to do the drawers that way.
Thanks.
Solid woods are very strong and Oak is one of the stronger woods. That being said, holding the weight up was never the problem. What was my bigest concern was side to side sway. The center board solved that.

The plastic drawers were an after thought but turns out I like them a lot.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
WOW! That looks Great! Only part that I'm not too fond of is the open front where you can see the equipment... Other than that it's Awesome!
Thanks
I had thought about putting doors on but couldn't come up with hinging that I liked. I may make removeable pannels that hang over the filter but leave the drawers open.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Planted Member

I understand... There are "Hiden Hinges" you coul duse. You wouldn't see them from outside. That would be a great option. I love the finish of the wood. Plus, you are correct, the Solid wood is Deffinately strong enough to hold that tank up. Especialy being Oak. That is one of the strongest woods around. I like the look of this stand. I wsh I had seen this before I made the new stand for my 45 Gal. LOL! Although, the cost of the wood alone would have Killed me! Do you get your material Rough sawn & then run them through a plainer, or do you buy plained wood?

Thanks,
Steve X.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:47 PM

I get my wood from a lumber store rough cut and surface it myself. This tank stand cost about $100 in wood.

If I was going to put doors on the filter areas I would want them to swing open all the way raound until the door was flat against the side. But since I could not get that to happen I left it be. I'm not bothered by the filter showing. Too bad the canister isn't blue.

I'll be building a new stand for a 29 gallon I have soon. At that time I'll make 2 thin pannels that can hang over those areas.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You can get European style hinges that allow the door to fold back against the side of the cabinet. I tried to look them up in the two websites I use for such parts, but I can't remember their manufacturer now - and I have them on my computer desk right in front of me too, but no manufacturer name on them.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode