Derimming 65Ltr with hood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Derimming 65Ltr with hood

I am considering derimming this tank to get a better look and so i can attach a Fluval Sea LED for when i potentially convert it to a reef. It was just set up as a temporary tadpole and newt tank from our pond.
So could i derim this, or is the rim structurally vital? I want to do this cheaply and i just have this tank lying around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 05:59 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Rims aren't structurally vital, its the cross brace that is. I couldn't tell by those pictures if there is a cross brace or not. If no cross brace, than you're golden!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What is a cross brace? What does it look like?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Having just googled it i can say it certainly doesn't have cross braces like this:
Can you recommend a good derimming thread on TPT
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
I don't think you should worry about cross brace on your 65L tank. (I don't think your tank has that part)
When you get to 130L and up, then you have to be very careful. If the tank is not designed to be rimless, and you take the rim off, I think it's a recipe for disaster.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 06:57 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossocheilus View Post
What is a cross brace? What does it look like?
Its very simple. In my experience the trim plastic is pretty soft and easily cut. Just get a razor knife and score it about 1/4 inch from the top.

This will get you below the thick part of the trim and the glass. Do repeated scores in the same place and you will hear the trim crack or pop. This means you have cut through the plastic.

Start pulling it off from one end and it should break into pieces (or one piece if you're lucky).

IME silicone is only used along the top of the glass and that that is where you will need to cut to remove the rest of the trim.

After you pull the trim off, prepare to have to work on the exposed glass edge. I've come across one tank where the glass under the trim had a machined bevel, but all the others had a sharp edge that will and did cut. I've found a foam sanding block with some 150 grit will knock off the sharp edge. I also use an orbital sander with very good results.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode