Super Simple DIY CO2 Picture Guide by TAF - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Arrow Super Simple DIY CO2 Picture Guide by TAF

Okay, the first time I put together DIY CO2, I was a little nervous since the guide I was following had no pictures.

So... here is a guide to simple CO2 with full step by step pictures:

DIY CO2

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___

Last edited by TAF CAF; 01-25-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I Love That!
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 03:06 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aquamanx
Very good DIY instructions!

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
This should be a sticky.

Nice job

jB
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

::Blush::

Thanks. Thought it might be of some use.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

___
___
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You can make it even simpler and easier by using the small hole method of sealing the tubing in the cap. Just drill a hole about the same size or a bit smaller than the ID of the tubing. Then cut the tubing at an angle and thread it though the hole and then pulling it through with pliers.
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 05:01 PM
JBN
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Location: Huntington Beach, California / La Jolla (San Diego), California
Send a message via AIM to JBN Send a message via Yahoo to JBN
Totally awesome! Good job mate
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 05:34 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
It's a good guide, I have to disagree about your steps to make the water a certain temperature. The yeast will activate quickly between 80 and 125 degrees with no problems. The best way would be to use "hot" approx 110 degree water to dissolve your sugar, then dump the yeast in.

I have tried two side by side bottles, one with room temperature water and one with 110 degree, and in the hot water, the yeast kicks off right away within minutes.

There was another thread I can't find where activating yeast was discussed. Anyone who has worked at a pizza joint or bakery can attest to the hot water used to activate yeast.
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
You can make it even simpler and easier by using the small hole method of sealing the tubing in the cap. Just drill a hole about the same size or a bit smaller than the ID of the tubing. Then cut the tubing at an angle and thread it though the hole and then pulling it through with pliers.

That's what I use, works great. No leaks when checked with water/soap. =)
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by argblarg View Post
It's a good guide, I have to disagree about your steps to make the water a certain temperature. The yeast will activate quickly between 80 and 125 degrees with no problems. The best way would be to use "hot" approx 110 degree water to dissolve your sugar, then dump the yeast in.

I have tried two side by side bottles, one with room temperature water and one with 110 degree, and in the hot water, the yeast kicks off right away within minutes.

There was another thread I can't find where activating yeast was discussed. Anyone who has worked at a pizza joint or bakery can attest to the hot water used to activate yeast.
I wrap my bottle in a towel. Gives me a more constant CO2 output since the temperature in my apartment fluctuates a lot during the day.
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 10:22 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Connecting two or three of these could supply a good ammount of C02 I presume . . .
post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshop View Post
Connecting two or three of these could supply a good ammount of C02 I presume . . .
I use 2 on this mix for my 55g and am getting up to just the right ammount of CO2, but I'm using very fine diffusers and have to be careful that I'm not overdoing it, as my hoods fit pretty tightly and do not allow a whole lot of CO2 to escape or O2 to get in.

___
___
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
I am awful rough with my bottle caps, and have found that the in-line connector to stand up to me better than the "pull through" hose. Of course both methods work, I just like the security of a solid fit.

___
___
post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by argblarg View Post

I use normal bread yeast and have many times done horrible damage to my yeast by having too warm of water. (And whole lot of flat bread too... LOL) I have also found that room temperature water may start slower but also does not pull water up the tube as much as it cools if your yeast takes a little while to get going.

Of course this probably all depends hugely on the quality and virility of your yeast. However, starting slower at room temperature water seems simpler for an almost fool proof begining to DIY CO2. My normally starts producing in about 15 minutes with room temperature water.

___
___
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you for all the nice comments. Hopefully this guide will help a few people.

___
___

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode