Best way to attach driftwood to rock? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Best way to attach driftwood to rock?

Anyone have any secrets to share regarding the type of glue for attaching driftwood to rocks? Since I've recently moved from Florida to Michigan, I live only a couple of blocks from Lake Superior and drifwood is literally everywhere! I have found a couple of really nice peices but superglue did not hold...found it bobbing on the surface a week later. Any good ideas would be appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (95/100%)
Go to foster's & smith they sell an epoxy that's made for holding under water. once you see what it looks like then look at any aquarium store.
AquaStik: Epoxy Putty

Cynthia
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks. I've actually used it before for Live Rock. Wasn't sure how well it worked for driftwood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
LPS use flat slabs of slate rock, drill a hole or two using a masonry bit,
then use a stainless steel wood screw to attach the slate to the driftwood
so the slate lies flat on the bottom at the angle you want your wood to sit.
if the slate & wood is extra heavy & large try to put a layer of Styrofoam
sheeting between the slate and your bottom tank glass to prevent cracks
from possibly forming in the glass. then bury the hole mess under your gravel.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 04:44 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)

In french, but no need to translate, so easy to unserstand !
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks again. The diagram is great! I thought about using a screw, but I don't have a masonry bit in my toolbox. I guess I'll head to the hardware store! Seems like the screw idea is better for long, long term.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:10 PM

Yes, but have to use SS screw, and it's not a rock, only slate will do as the weight of the gravel and what ever you have in the tank will hold it in place.
So no need for a drill, just grind your way through.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I knew about it needing to be stainless, just need to look around for slate. I'm surrounded by the porcupine mountains so I shouldn't have any problem finding a peice...or a hundred! Are you saying that the SS screw can be 'screwed' through the slate without predrilling? I would've assumed it would break.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:42 PM

No, but no need for a masonry bit, you can drill with a metal bit or even with the screw driver. Slate is not very hard to go through but might brake, so just be carefull.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode