Here's my DIY 10 gallon hexagon lamp aquarium. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (60/100%)
Here's my DIY 10 gallon hexagon lamp aquarium.

I decided to make one for 2 reasons.
I had some scrap 1/8 inch glass laying around and i went with the lamp idea because my husband said you don't have anymore room for aquariums. I figured he is out of town so he can't stop me, and it won't be taking up anymore room since we already had a "regular" lamp in it's place.
I made a diy internal filter so there's nothing hanging out tha back and i also have my co2 going through the internal filter. Once the plants grow you shouldn't be able to see it.
Let me know what you think, whether good or bad.

here's my diy 10 gallon hexagon lamp aquarium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
lol, great idea. =)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
I figured he is out of town so he can't stop me
I love it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Any issues with heat from the lamp part?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacat View Post
Any issues with heat from the lamp part?
Not at all. The lamp part doesn't raise the temp at all.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Oh, man, that is cool. Has the husband figure seen it yet? If so what did he say? If not, you have to tell us what he says when he does see it .

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
That looks pretty nice, but I would prefer a square cross section tank instead of the hex, to get a more unobstructed view of the tank dwellers. And, another way to do it would be to leave the tank open on the top, and use the lamp to act as both a table lamp and tank lamp. Working out how to handle the suspension of the lamp over the tank and the electric cord routing could be a design problem though. This sure gets me to thinking! (Is this a way to get a nano into the condo without wifely objections?)

Hoppy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 01:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
What did you use as the frame for it?

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

___
___
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAF CAF View Post
What did you use as the frame for it?
It actually is frameless and rimless. I just glued some ribbon fabric on top and bottom to add some color to it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
That looks pretty nice, but I would prefer a square cross section tank instead of the hex, to get a more unobstructed view of the tank dwellers. And, another way to do it would be to leave the tank open on the top, and use the lamp to act as both a table lamp and tank lamp. Working out how to handle the suspension of the lamp over the tank and the electric cord routing could be a design problem though. This sure gets me to thinking! (Is this a way to get a nano into the condo without wifely objections?)
I was actually going to do it the way you said by using the light from the lamp for both but I have some very high light plants in the tank that need more light then what the lamp gives off.

If I would have made the light for both the tank and the lamp I would have drilled a very small hole through the bottom of the tank and used a small tube, either out of glass are plastic in the middle of the tank to run the cord through.
I went with the hex tank because i have soooo many square, rectangle tanks already, not to mention I thought a hexagon tank would be more challenging to make and I had a bunch of small pieces of glass and didn't want to spend more money to buy more glass to make the square tank.

Hoppy I also think if you made the tank and set it all up before your wife knew what you were doing she would be happy with the end result.

My husband won't be home till the 9th of Nov so he doesn't know yet. I know he will give me that " oh god" look and then get over it He doesn't care much for fish and the tanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode