Is my diffuser even working!? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is my diffuser even working!?

So Like I said before got a bunch of bubbles out of a two bottle DIY CO2 system. When I hook my diffuser up nothing happens. Sometimes little bubbles form on the surface of the disk but nothing else. how do I know this thing is even working!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
see if you can sniff out any leaks at the bottle or in the tubing, sounds like pressure's not building enough. it's a new diffuser right? those discs can get clogged with algae over time. or maybe you just need to wait for more pressure.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (67/100%)
Yeah, sounds like a lack of pressure. Diluted dish soap and a small paintbrush works for detecting leaks too if you don't want to smell it

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
diffusers even fine airstones take a lot of pressure to 'push' the CO2 through their pores. when i was using diy co2, i found that the co2 bottle didn't last as long because it only had enough pressure at the beginning. if you're starting to get a green tinge on the ceramic disc, then it's going to make it even harder for the co2 to get through.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbennett View Post
if you're starting to get a green tinge on the ceramic disc, then it's going to make it even harder for the co2 to get through.
If you get some buildup, you can try to bleach the disk to see if that gets rid of some of the stuff clogging it up.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Try to shoot air into it to sort of open it up. I bought a 3 pack on E-bay and none of them worked until I blew compressed air through them. Afterwards I can get bubbles out of all 3 by blowing with my mouth.

I had a air compressor, but the canned air for cleaning keyboards might work too.

Current: 45g planted, MTS/EcoC/blastingsand. SunSun filter, pressurized CO2.
Old: 15g planted / Aquaclear 30, Eco-C, Pressurized CO2
Old: 10g heavy plants, Eco complete, Cherry shrimp, otto's. DIY CO2 w/ glass diffuser. Aquaclear 20.
Old: 55g planted, Soilmaster select charcoal, community tank. Pressurized CO2 w/ in-line reactor. Magnum 350 pump.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 03:44 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris333 View Post
Try to shoot air into it to sort of open it up. I bought a 3 pack on E-bay and none of them worked until I blew compressed air through them. Afterwards I can get bubbles out of all 3 by blowing with my mouth.

I had a air compressor, but the canned air for cleaning keyboards might work too.
I did the same thing. I got a mini glass diffuser and nothing came out with DIY. So I cranked down the compressor to around 4 psi and shot air through it. Now it works really good.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode