Quart Paint Can, External Filter (56k!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quart Paint Can, External Filter (56k!)

I went to Home Depot today and came home with a Quart paint can.
i used a spade bit 1 1/8 to try to drill holes into the lid and the bottom of the can but it didnt work that great but it kinda "scraped" a line into it and it jammed into the sides.
i wish i took some pictures while i was doing it
but i used a needle nose pliers and clippers to pull out the circle, it worked prety well.
then i used a hammer to flaten out where i tore it up with the pliers. slapped my bulkheads on and it looks pretty cool.
now all i need is some floss mabe foam and some zeolite and ill be good to go. after i hook up my pump and pipe it in lol ill post some pics when my camera charges

Last edited by Snazzy; 10-09-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
What's the tank made of cardboard box?
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
First I thought this is a joke, but now I realize you are serious...

Don't use a metal paint can as a canister housing. Try large diameter plastic pipe if you want to go this way. (T)rust me, it's better for the inhabitants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

lol...the inside has a coating that wont leach into the water at all...im testing it into a bucket but i mean all i bought is the paint can (3$) i had the fittings::

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
It won't take much back pressure to blow off that paint can lid. And, no coating will be good enough to stop the can from rusting through eventually. You can get ABS black piping, a couple of fittings for the ends, one being a "clean out" fitting, that screws in, and you will have a "can" that at least won't blow apart or rust through. I think you will wish you had followed someone's advice here eventually, but I hope it works for you.

Hoppy
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i was thinking of that but just regular 2inch pipe it was a lot more expensive and i had all the fittings i needed already. i might just go that way becaue its a sureshot for no leaks(ive had water on the florr through the ceiling)
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think every one of us at some point have gone through this(making a DIY filter).My personal experience is to make a Good ,durable, reliable, and safe filter is hard but not impossible and always cost more than what I could find in the market.but it's a lot of fun .
Good luck.I hope it works out for you,I mean it.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
First I thought this is a joke, but now I realize you are serious...

Don't use a metal paint can as a canister housing. Try large diameter plastic pipe if you want to go this way. (T)rust me, it's better for the inhabitants.
You can use (for a large tank) a 5 gallon PLASTIC bucket w/lid (for about $4.00) from Ace Hardware or Home Depot. The lid snaps on (and is watertight) and will take a fair amount of pump pressure. If in doubt, one or two pairs of wooden 2x1's with long bolts and thumb screws can be used to make sure it all stays together. There is enough room inside/on top to house 1 or 2 powerheads. A piece of plastic screen going around the inside is enough to hold filter pad material with the center holding bio-balls or something similar. Am in the process of building one (for a 150g) and will take pics as I go along.
I wouldn't use metal in any way. Too much chance for a blowout or poisoning.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Paint can or bucket or plastic pipe... I am interested in building a similar thing, but I am wondering how the water gets out of your tank?

Do you use a 'over flow' type system, or do you pump the water out from the tank, or does the pump in the filter suck water from the tank... and does it create a siphon that could drain your tank water onto the floor?

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

___
___
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well the water gets out of the tank by my pump (see anove pic its the blue thingy) no i dont use an overflow the pump is before the filter that sucks water out, yes it can create a siphon that can drain out tank if it leaks

heres how im planning on using it. its my turtle tank but im gonna use similar piping just a couple elbows one with a strainer and other with a spray bar

lmao yes thats a mutelated acorus plant to the right and the turtle is hidding behind the rock *he doesnt like pictures lol *
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Okay, so the trick is getting everything to seal up tight so that nothing leaks.

Will the pump get jammed up with gunk since it is before the filter?

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

___
___
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ya im pretty sure it will require cleanning every once and a while but in the picture that came with the pump it showed the pump before the filter
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If the pump were after the filter the chances of blowing off the lid would be greatly reduced, and the pump would stay cleaner.

Hoppy
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

im pretty sure the lid isnt gonna come off you gotta hit it wit a hammer to seal it
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
In all seriousness, I think it would be much better to put it before the pump with the lid away from the pump. That way it would filter the water before it reaches the pump and help prevent the pump itself from clogging somehow and help draw/suck the lid to the can. Right now, the pump is putting pressure on the lid in the wrong direction. Think about it..........

Cool Idea though......

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode