External Filter Quick Question??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
External Filter Quick Question???

Im think of building a external filter for my 10gal plant/shrimp tank (soon to be once i upgrade my turtle ino his 40br tank) i read somewhere that a hang on filter the one with the "waterfall" effect removes the CO2 after you diffuse it into the water so i alrdy have a QuietOne external pump. i would use pvc pipe to do it in this order....

Barb-->Reducer up to mabe 2inch-->Foam-->like a grate of some kind-->carbon or chemical media-->biomax-->reduser-->barb

and somewhere in the 2inch pipe i could put one of those release fittings that you can unscrew so i can clean it or anything

one end of the barb connecter i would put the pump and then i would just connect it up to the tank

so...do you think it would work???? post any commets im open!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Anything that will run water from the tank thru some floss will filter the water, and if you add a little bit of biological media, such as bioballs, you will be doing some biological filtration too. The real question isn't will it work, but how well will it work week after week, cleaning after cleaning. And, will any failure that might occur dump the tank water on the floor.

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
well after you glue up the pvc with some cement it wont leak...im just thinking will it accually "Filter" and if the quietone model 1200 it says it does 296 gph with 0head...not sure since it is a closed circut how much head there will be but it wont be more then 3ft head witch is 200gph im thinking it will have plenty of power? and ill probbly need to put a foam prefilter if i tend to breed some shrimp i think

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazzy View Post
...i read somewhere that a hang on filter the one with the "waterfall" effect removes the CO2 after you diffuse it into the water
I had an Emperor 400 for two years before I upgraded to the Eheim 2126. I didn't see any real decrease in CO2 use until I got Clippard tubing. That made a rather large difference just in itself. I was suprised.

Tommy

><;;;"> <9))>>{

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6 Tommy View Post
I had an Emperor 400 for two years before I upgraded to the Eheim 2126. I didn't see any real decrease in CO2 use until I got Clippard tubing. That made a rather large difference just in itself. I was suprised.

Tommy
So you're saying the Clippard tubing reduced CO2 loss with the Eheim?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Tommy, please correct nme if I'm wrong, but....
I think Tommy is saying that he lost more CO2 through using the wrong tubing for his CO2 that he did with his Emperor.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode