Sump and Fluval 204 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sump and Fluval 204

I've always wanted to do a sump on my 29gallon. Having a sump is part of the reason I built it a large wood cabinet, but I never got around to it.

So, I've been studing the posts here and have started to finally get it going. I'm testing the configuration right now and I'm worried my 204 isn't up to the task. My stand puts the water surface of the tank at 59", The hieght of the water in the sump will be about 16". Thats a 37" head for the fluval to push against and in my testing it doesn't seem to be handling it well. Is there anything that can be done to help the poor thing Or should I bite the bullet and get a seperate pump to handle the circulation duties?

Thanks!
MikeM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-30-2006, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I took a couple of designs from here and tried them. I found the flow to be too slow with the 1" tubing if the "final T(or X)" was too high. Even using two 1" pipes didn't seem good enough. Using the hydraulic engineering I took in school: (twice ) I think the portion that runs out of the tank above the waterline needs to be smaller than the rest of the system. The way I tired mine was to put a t near the waterline, doubling the pipe area increasing the effeciency of the siphon forces. Velocity is important, and too big of pipe above the waterline reduces velocity.

In the test setup at steady state, I can dump a half gallon in the 10gal tank and it will return to steady state in about 16seconds, which is about 1/3rd the time it took when there was two complete pipes.

I also set up the pipes geometry so I could easily tune the hieght of the X-piece to my pumps flow just by rotating the pipes feeding it. The bad side is that the whole thing sticks out about 8" from the tank. (maybe 2" of that could be fixed using some 45s on the last up-pipe.

mm

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode