where can I get pvc pipe? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
where can I get pvc pipe?

my homedepot has the standar stuff.. but nothign bigger then 4".. and not many connectors and such.. so is there a website that has it all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 02:08 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
why are you looking for something bigger then 4"--im not sure if anyone has ever used this but what about electrical conduit (the non-metalic grey kind)-you can get it at lowes or home depot also its grey and not white and you can get pretty big elbows and other connectors- if you are looking for something bigger then 4" maybe try some gutter material its black and plastic and around 5" or so---just a thought good luck
matt
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was jsut gonan make a canister filter.. does the ammount of media matter or is it mroe the CPH?

and I designed 4" is better.. would this be a sound design or doe swater not work like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...sterdesign.jpg

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Plastic Tanks, Plastic Buckets, Plastic Bottles and Labware, DVD Cases - United States Plastic Corporation ®

But by the time you buy fittings for large diameter PVC pipe and the pipe you could more cheaply buy a canister filter.

6" is $10.87 a foot. Minimum order is 10 feet. Rena XP3 is $100 if you shop around.

BTW that new feature of looking up urls and adding a description is a PITA.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 04:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think if you check the prices of pvc pipe and pvc fitting in larger sizes (like 6 inch) you'll probably find it way cheaper just to go buy a canister.

I don't know if places that sell pvc pipe in less than 10 foot lengths either, so you'll spend money and have leftovers.

4 inch pcv is $6 to $7/ ft; 6 inch is over $10/ft.

A 4 inch 90 degree fitting will run around $9 and a 6 inch 90 would be over $20 EACH.

There are some places online that sell pvc, but UPS won't ship over 4 foot lengths. A few will sell by the foot, but the cost usually goes up quite rapidly that way.

Oops, Rex, you and I were typing at the same time.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardBoardBoxProcessor View Post
I was jsut gonan make a canister filter.. does the ammount of media matter or is it mroe the CPH?

and I designed 4" is better.. would this be a sound design or doe swater not work like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...sterdesign.jpg
Why use PVC at all? Just use one of those 5 gallon plastic pails w/lids from the local hardware store. It can be set up (there is enough space) to use two powerhead pumps for the return and at least 2 - 4 inlets from the tank. A little bit of plastic mesh from Walmart's home decor section will hold the filter media where ever you want it. The lids are watertight but you can always use a few pieces of wood with long bolt tiedowns if needed for security.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

mm.. good Idea.. what media would I I use.. maybe just rocks haha..

where can i get hook things like those ones on the ADA canister filter?

and I am told to many input will overdue it on the pump.. how can that be?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
It's been a few years since I lived in Annapolis but there were two great sources for all things PVC in town. One was or maybe still is at the intersection of Chincopin Round Rd and West St., on West St. The other was or is close by in the business park area of Chincopin Round Rd. about 1/2 way between West and Bay Ridge but closer to West. I think they had "Nolan" in the name.

-*-*-*-*-
gnatster

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode