is this paint safe for my tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
is this paint safe for my tank?

hi guys..

i was wondering if i can use this paint to paint my concrete tank black..
i have finishned coating my tank with concrete waterproofing..

now im looking for a suitable paint for finish topcoat in my area..

it is called Bronco Rubberized Floor Coating..
it is non toxic, ozone safe, non-chlorinated..

i was thinking of coating the whole tank interior with this, 5 coatings..
i also use it for our home's concrete roof deck floor paint, its a great waterproofing..
i also had it painted for my basketball court..

now i wonder if its be great for my concrete tank..

http://www.globeinternationaldistrib...floorCoat.html

well, i hope it is safe.. is it?..
couldn't find any other paint i could use..

Last edited by yanzco; 06-11-2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I personally wouldn't use it. If it does become toxic not only have your killed your fish you have to remove it. It may very well contaminate the underlying concrete making it useless forever.

Search for fish safe pond paint. There are many paints available specifically made for this application. This is certainly not something to guess with.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am not sure of that specific brand but it is somewhat common to coat wood tanks with very similar products (i.e. Ames Blue Max liquid rubber). Maybe try searching on forums where large DIY tanks are common (i.e. monsterfishkeepers).

Another option would be epoxy or epoxy paint. Sweetwater brand epoxy paint is commonly used to line aquariums.

Can you reach out to the manufacturer that made the concrete sealer you used and ask them if they have a product that would be suitable for aquarium sealing? One thing to keep in mind is that whatever product you use, it will have to be compatible with the sealer you have already applied. If you can't get some sort of confirmation ahead of time it might be worthwhile to do a small test on some scrap materials.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are you just trying to seal the concrete, or are you more interested in making it black?

It's a bit late now, but I think there are several concrete pigments you can get and add to the mix to change the color of the final product. Black might be hard to do, but I'm sure you could get a dark grey fairly easily.

You may be able to use a concrete stain to change the color of cured concrete, but I don't know what they use, and I wouldn't do that without sealing it as well.

I think people have used drylock with some success, and I'm prone to use epoxy for everything. Just for coating concrete, you may not need much epoxy, and you could possibly thin it as well - check the instructions, I think acetone usually works. Also, sometimes you can find tints for epoxy, so you could easily tint it black.

I think I remember reading somewhere about using concrete for ponds (a book, no idea which one), was that after it was cured, to fill it with water, add some vinegar, let it sit, drain, repeat; that way most of the easily soluble minerals would leach out.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
curing is no problem.. the thing is in my place, there is a different set of paint manufacturers.. wouldnt find those that can be found in US..
commonly used ones here are boysen and davies..

another thing i got in mind is using, epoxy primer and topcoating it with epoxy enamel..
for concrete sealer, im done with that part, tested it without leaks..

what im trying to do right now is trying to coat it with a black color, and making the concrete glossy / smooth to touch..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode