My co2 Stuff. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
My co2 Stuff.

Well.. I figured I better post my CO2 equipment.

Frist odd my DIY yeast CO2 Generator.. Pretty much I got this 72 gallon bow front for free.. (hate me! a free tank that is $200 in petsmart!) and I wanted plants.. thus I knew form experience I needed CO2. I did not feel like going pressurized so i went Yeast. and since, unlike the goldfish tank, it would be pumping co2 24/7 to keep PH stable (due to the substrate I picked) I would need something large. (on a side note.. I like to have gravels that raise PH slowly over time.. it tends to make things alot easier to control.. need to low Ph give it co2 need to raise it turn co2 off and let the rocks raise it slowly over 6 hour period.. alot cheaper and natural then constant chemical dosing that never really works anyway) anyway this is the result:

Pretty much to make the bulk heads I wrapped tape around the bottle cap and filled it in. To make this seal even better I used a drill bit that was smaller then the airline tubing.. so even with out sealant the seal is good (against the pressure my lungs and provide anyway). One batch lasts about 3 weeks kicking at 4 BPS (It is new so I don't have the formula right.. I would prefer 2 BPS. When I open it up form time to time I want it to start working immediately so i have a pressurization valve. It pretty much is jsut a small airline with a back flow valve that i blow into till the co2 "flame" starts in my reactor. This co2 can also feed the goldfish tank but that is only if I feel like turning it on. To make it feed two tanks I have to pressurize it every 4 hours (I have plants to make a mini to connect the goldfish line to help it get some more juice when needed). the trap really never needs to trap anything.. yeast never get high enough inside the container.. but it is a "pop" protection. if the pressure is ever two great I made a weak point with a hot glue gun (made the plastic thinner) so i hop that would pop open before the big thing would. it also let me check the pressure of the system.. if it is too high and no bubbles are coming I know my back flow valves are clogged.

anyway.. the reactor.. nothing special.. it gets that neat little co2 "flame" you will see in the video. It never releases any bubbles so I suppose it is 100% diffusion.. I have a little jet on it that points the co2-ified water into the filter to be dispersed through out the tank. It is just a power head with UGF pipping attacked to it.

Putfile - CO2Reactor

As a treat for reading this.. you get to watch my duckweed dance!

Putfile - DancingDuckweed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 03:47 AM
Algae Grower

Wow. That co2 generator looks insane, but I really don't believe that this is worth the hassle compared to pressurized.

Kudos because you take DIY co2 to the extreme. haha.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 04:45 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
How much water / yeast / sugar are you using? And do you use baking soda?

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 05:38 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (21/96%)
wow that is huge! How long does it last? Remind me of my diy co2 days, ooo headaches!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
One batch lasts about 3 weeks kicking at 4 BPS
Did you miss this?

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

haha it is no hassle haha.. at all.. takes like 10 minutes to refill.. and that is only cause I am inexperianced cause I have only refilled it two times since it's creation.. mm.. I last refilled it sept 3rd.. >> I am seeing how long she lives... last couple times where emptied prematurly do to bug fixing..

anyway.. I find this less of a hazzle then spending lots of money on pressurized stuff and then having to go to the store and refill it all the time.

as for the recipe.. still trying to get the bugs out of that too hahga.. currently running on 6 cups of sugar and 3 tbspoons of yeast... currently the biggest problem is the backflow valves.. they get water in them and stop working.. haha
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 06:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardBoardBoxProcessor View Post
haha it is no hassle haha.. at all.. takes like 10 minutes to refill.. and that is only cause I am inexperianced cause I have only refilled it two times since it's creation.. mm.. I last refilled it sept 3rd.. >> I am seeing how long she lives... last couple times where emptied prematurly do to bug fixing..

anyway.. I find this less of a hazzle then spending lots of money on pressurized stuff and then having to go to the store and refill it all the time.

as for the recipe.. still trying to get the bugs out of that too hahga.. currently running on 6 cups of sugar and 3 tbspoons of yeast... currently the biggest problem is the backflow valves.. they get water in them and stop working.. haha
Thanks for the recipe. How much water do you use and do you use any baking soda? Also, what yeast do you use? Thanks! Love the "flame"
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

??? But the recipe is still flawed >> mm.. water.. I suppose it is around 4 gallosn since their is sugar and free space.. with out it there is 5 gallosn to te container.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Lots of money on pressurized? ~$150 for a basic manual pressurized system. Time between refills? 8-12months. Hassle factor of pressurized - Much less.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I will probably do that for my 55 gallon... It will be in the basment and I want more automation on it.. what exactly do i need?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Click on the "read my guide" bit under Rex's signature. Under his "CO2" section, he has "kits" for sale. I believe his kit w/ solenoid runs around $136?
This would be the route I plan on going once I get the $$$. Pretty much has everything youd need, unless you wanted to use a PH controller as well.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Minimum needed for a manual pressurized system is: Cylinder, Regulator, needle valve, check valve, tubing, diffusion method and a few fittings and adapters.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

mm.. i dunno where I could refill around here.. only petsmarts around here for all I know.. sdo they do it? 0_o
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Take a few minutes and read my Guide. Think outside the fish stores. And PetsMart is NOT going to fill your CO2 cylinder.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So Rex you sell the whole kit huh? >> what price? and it has all the basics of what I would need for pressurized?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode