DIY CO2 System - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 System

Hi all,

got the below illustration from qsl.net. Please share your view if I am to use the below system set-up with:

- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IMPOJ8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DGJEGC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIY CO2 System.jpg
Views:	2749
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	157585  

Last edited by ConcaveLiNkiN; 06-11-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: the illustration link is broken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (361/100%)
I think they are ok.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
You could make your own reactor, but I can't recall the price difference between purchased and DIY.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrubich View Post
You could make your own reactor, but I can't recall the price difference between purchased and DIY.
I believe the idea is to breakdown the CO2. As long as the CO2 that enter the chamber gets well mixed with the water that is pumped in, all is good. I was actual thinking of something to DIY from scratch till I come across this inexpensive reactor. There are actually more in the market, they did not attract me too much. So I was thinking, oh what the heck.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dear all,

If you'll think this design works, I beg to differ. Do consider the following:

1. As there is not much pressure from the DIY yeast and sugar mixture, the Pressure form the powerhead is pushing the water out from the Ista Mixer through the air inlet. Thus, CO2 could not enter the mixer.

2. Even when you turn down the pressure of the powerhead, the mixer might not effectively mix the CO2 into the water.

If you ever choose to use this method, you will have to forego the mixer. Connect the CO2 directly to the powerhead air-inlet, but, you might need a manual air-valve to control the BPS. In this method, the powerhead creates intake pressure to draw the CO2 into the outlet of the powerhead. Do note that bigger bubbles of CO2 are being emitted into the water. The discharge of CO2 might not be as effective.

Of course there are other workable methods you can find throughout the web and forum. Do share your experience, hope this information will help some of us here who plan for this DIY.

Cheers
eRic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcaveLiNkiN View Post
Dear all,

If you'll think this design works, I beg to differ. Do consider the following:

1. As there is not much pressure from the DIY yeast and sugar mixture, the Pressure form the powerhead is pushing the water out from the Ista Mixer through the air inlet. Thus, CO2 could not enter the mixer.
The pressure generated by the powerhead is nothing compared to what can build up in the yeast bottles. It's not even a sealed system, so the height of the tank water will likely create a bigger pressure in the lines. DIY CO2 generates enough pressure to go through ceramic plates on most diffusers (except Atomic). Unless you have a leak, you will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcaveLiNkiN View Post
2. Even when you turn down the pressure of the powerhead, the mixer might not effectively mix the CO2 into the water.
This is a fair point. Having used an ISTA reactor though, I would say it was pretty efficient in dissolving CO2, at least with an Eheim 2213 hooked up. At higher flow rates, you might have some issues, but there is also a larger version they make.

Edit: Just reread the first post. The design is fine, but you need a way smaller powerhead or you will have microbubbles everywhere. To make a reactor for a 1200 gph pump, you would need like a 4 ft long (or like 4+" diameter) Rex Grigg reactor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronados View Post
The pressure generated by the powerhead is nothing compared to what can build up in the yeast bottles. It's not even a sealed system, so the height of the tank water will likely create a bigger pressure in the lines. DIY CO2 generates enough pressure to go through ceramic plates on most diffusers (except Atomic). Unless you have a leak, you will be fine.

This is a fair point. Having used an ISTA reactor though, I would say it was pretty efficient in dissolving CO2, at least with an Eheim 2213 hooked up. At higher flow rates, you might have some issues, but there is also a larger version they make.

Edit: Just reread the first post. The design is fine, but you need a way smaller powerhead or you will have microbubbles everywhere. To make a reactor for a 1200 gph pump, you would need like a 4 ft long (or like 4+" diameter) Rex Grigg reactor.
I finally swapped out the MaxiJet1200 for a Hagen Exo terra Repti Clear F150 as the pressure form the Maxi is just too Hugh for the DIY CO2 to handle. I will need to turn the pressure to the lowest before I see bubbles start getting injected through the bubble counter. And in times, there was no bubbles at all. A little to unstable. Be a stubborn boy like me, I'm still not giving up my Ista mixer. Haha... Oh yah, larger mixer is too tall for my tank. The medium one is already taking up half my tank. I'm on a 60x45x45.

So finally, I settled for a pressurized 2L CO2 tank with electric solenoid. Set it once and walked away, no hassle at all. Guess I'm not the determined kind who will make sure my DIY works. Well, guess I will fall back to yeast mixture when I send my CO2 tank for top-ups.

Thanks for analyzing the whole process anyway.

Cheers
eRic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode