Is this a good Idea to shut down CO2 at night? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this a good Idea to shut down CO2 at night?

yeast >===>bottle>===>valve>===>Tjunction*>==>regulator> ===>AQUA
+sugar

regulator
Balloon

(The * is also symbol for Tube ,just like the = )

.I was thinking that I could install a T plastic tube junction between check valve and aquarium ,and a regulator thingy ,like hospital IV ,for example, a bit further on the main tube..... run another tube from the T with a balloon at the end.On that tube ,another adjustable regulator thingy .So if I want more pressure in the tank ,I can shut off the balloon tube so everything goes into the tank.At night ,if I want to shut off CO2 in the tank ,I do it from the regulator on the main tube ,while opening the balloon tube clamp at max and let all CO2 go into the balloon.IN the morning ,squeeze the swollen balloon after having opened the main regulator.
I don t know if it would be a good idea ,I just put together some things I read about diy CO2. what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
For DIY, it is the simplest to use a powerhead to spit the CO2 mist into the tank, turn the powerhead off at night, the gas bubbles out the top instead.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
For DIY, it is the simplest to use a powerhead to spit the CO2 mist into the tank, turn the powerhead off at night, the gas bubbles out the top instead.
Wouldn't I have more control by adjusting the two regulators on the tubes,so I could easily balance the ph? I thought about a powerhead ,but it would only give me the ON\OFF option.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you wanna take it that far just go pressurised as by the sounds of it your trying to re create a system like that is going to be a way bigger headache then you realise atm

And my diy is hammering along at 3 or 4 bps ATM and I have no intentions of reducing that either plants are loving it!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead1990 View Post
If you wanna take it that far just go pressurised as by the sounds of it your trying to re create a system like that is going to be a way bigger headache then you realise atm

And my diy is hammering along at 3 or 4 bps ATM and I have no intentions of reducing that either plants are loving it!
Is there such a thing as Too much CO2 then?I know it drops the Ph ,and suffocates fish ,of course.....but considering I will have a planted Betta tank ,what other things can go wrong? Also ,could I make it as simple as blowing a balloon and run a tube directly into the aquarium?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Don't even try it with DIY CO2. The plastic bottle would explode if you use a regulator or some sorts of valves to shut it off.... What you can do is to turn on airstone at night. This should gas of most of the CO2. In the morning, you shut off the airstone.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
It might be more pragmatic to yank the co2 from the tank than tring to regulate a dyi co2 ssetup...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
Don't even try it with DIY CO2. The plastic bottle would explode if you use a regulator or some sorts of valves to shut it off.... What you can do is to turn on airstone at night. This should gas of most of the CO2. In the morning, you shut off the airstone.
I won't be shutting off the bottle directly....the CO2 would either go into the tank ,or into the balloon ,which could explode ,i guess ,but they say yeast and sugar doesn t give you much pressure anyway.?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have it run through a pump and turn the pump off at lights out and the bibles just float up and it doesn't saturate the water

But I run the pump into a upside down bottle with an elbow on the inside easily dissolves over 90% of the c02

Pressurised is a better way to go then diy yeast sugar mixes and is more stable as diy slows down as it cools off and sometimes can be really random in the bps count aswell

But running it how I do there's isn't a whole lot of pressure envolved and be sure to dril hole inside the pump were the filter media normally would go and run it so that the bibles float up to the impeller other wise you create a vacuum which you don't want
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
This is more likely for me.

Visit my planted tanks' profiles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode