DIY cooling fan questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
DIY cooling fan questions

With temps rising I'm concerned about my shrimp tank getting up to 80 during the day when I'm not home. I've read a lot of info about ppl using fans for evaporative cooling. I see many ppl using computer case fans. My question is how do you hook these up and power them? They run on low voltage so do you have a power converter or something? Most of them have a red and black wire, how would I hook these up? I'm pretty good at building things and electronics, so if someone can help me with the basics about how to hook these up, I would be most appreciative. Would I spend about the same in just buying a premade clip on fan from walmart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:14 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
I modded a computer fan to cool my entertainment system. They are 12v DC just like phone chargers. If you have a spare wall charger for an old phone (and who doesn't these days?) you can cut the plug off and wire it to the computer fan. Just make sure you wire it correctly or the fan will spin backwards. If it spins backwards, just swap the wires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Ok so I dug up an old charger from my blackberry. On the charger it says...

"Output - 5V = 700mA"

Does that mean my phone charger won't work? Anything else that would work for cheap? I could go buy a 12v plug from radio shack, but at that point may as well buy a clip on fan from walmart.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 02:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Actually, 5v is fine. Many computer enthusiasts use resistors to drop from 12v to 5v to quiet them down. Of course they move a little less air when undervolted. Try it out.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 08:32 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Apologies for not responding earlier on this.

The thing with electric motors is they will turn with lower voltage, they'll just turn slower. You could try the 5v charger and if its not giving you enough oompf, try finding a 12v and see if that helps.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode