PVC leaks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
PVC leaks

So I built my first CO2 reactor the other day.

And it leaked at the screw-in joins.

Lesson learned: teflon tape does NOT seal screw-in joins. Rather, screw that sucker as tight as possible and use PVC-compatible pipe thread compound. I used Harvey's TFE Paste from Home Depot. It's non-hardening, non-toxic, and best of all NON-LEAKING!

Me so happy now. Got it hooked to my new Rena XP3 and my green babies are pearling like there's no tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 06:35 PM
►◊÷ Ō «◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
By chance is this your design or information gathered from the net? I would like to see some documentation if you might have some.
Thanks
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The reactor is based on the design at Rex Grigg's site (Rex's Guide to building a CO2 reactor. I had to mickey-mouse a few extra parts because I couldn't find exactly what Rex used at Home Depot. My wife has our digital camera with her at work but I'll see if I can post a pic or two of the finished reactor tonight.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Teflon tape will seal PVC threads. But you have to use the thicker variety and still screw that thing down tight.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
The general use standard that I learned many years ago calls for 3 full wraps of tape around the threads. But if the fit is loose a few more wraps may be called for (or else try a different combination of parts).

I've been using the cheap, thin teflon tape from Lowes/HD for years and haven't had a threaded connection fail me yet.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hmm... The first time I wrapped around 3x and had leaks. The second time I went around 6x and had leaks. Then I ran out of teflon tape (the thin variety) so a trip to Home Depot was in order. There I talked to a seemingly knowledgeable employee (always hit or miss at HD) who said teflon tape is more intended as a thread lubricant so you can tighten the threads as easily and tightly as possible. He said it's the pipe THREADS not the tape that seals the joint. He had 3 recommendations for me: 1) no tape and just tighten as hard as I can; 2) use a thicker tape and tighten hard; and 3) use the putty and tighten hard. I chose #3 and it's working for me. :-) But really, whatever works for you is the best option to follow.

This was my first time working with PVC so it's all been a learning experience for me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's a photo of my finished reactor.

http://www.winterlong.com/CO2_Reactor.jpg

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode