I posted this up on my favorite DIY site, but thought I'd share my latest project with you folks as well. I put hood in quotation marks because I'm not sure what to call it. Its not a canopy in the standard sense of the word as it doesn't rest on top of the aquarium. This is an old stand for a 48" 55g that I used to have sitting there before I tore it down to use as a sump. I'm still using the 48" shop light over the aquarium so I couldn't make a hood that rested on top of the aquarium without buying a new light.
A little back story:
When I moved into this new house, I tore down my quick and very dirty light bar shelf I had over my 45. I had thrown it together and it showed. I wanted something better, something I put more time into. I was also working on an extremely tight budget. My goal was to use materials that I already had and not spend a dime. Working in a furniture warehouse, I come across misc bits of plywood and other goodies on a regular basis. For this project I had a set of siderails from a bunk bed as well as 8 or so sheets of 3/8" plywood of varying dimensions and a few pieces of particle board. Also from work I had some angle brackets, screws, hardware and other junk. Parts from an old corner desk were added to the pile of usable materials as well.
Some of you more advance carpenters are going to shake your heads at how I build this as I built this thing kind of backwards. I didn't start out with a concise plan in my head for what I wanted, so the project kind of evolved as I went along. Instead of building a frame and skinning it, I built it from the top down as the design evolved. I'm also working with a lot of less-than-true-wood, so I built this project with intent to straighten the wood as I went along.
This is the top of the light box/shelf. The start of the frame around the bottom of the shelf.
One edge complete.
Working on the long edge. Got a little close to the edge on a couple of these screws, but I'm likely using way too many anyway.
My lil helper drilling some pilot holes. She's also the photographer for this project
Long edge done. When I started, this top shelf started out as a shelf in the desk and was quite bowed. Now its straight (enough
One end panel cut
Screwed in to the side. These high res photos are really showing my imperfections
And here's where my little photographer slacked. Missed a couple steps in between. You get the idea
Here it is with both end panels done.
Perfect day for a little project
Hinge for front panel.
Front panel/access/door installed
Then I took 2 sections of the side rail and used them for risers on the side of my stand. I couldn't build a normal hood because my fixture is 48" long and it sits over a 36" tank. The stand is 48" wide as well. So to tie it all together I made riser legs instead. Here it is all assembled. Even the nice polished nickel door pull was from my years in furniture