DIY Topless Fluval Edge - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Topless Fluval Edge

I got a Fluval Edge 6 gallon as a hand me down from a friend. My original plans were to give it to my girlfriend, but she changed her mind. It's an aesthetically pleasing tank for an office or a living room, but not practical for a planted tank hobbyist. I ran across some other forums where they took off the top and figured I'd give it a try. I should have done it with an empty tank, but I just went to town while it had plants and substrate inside anyways. No fish or shrimp were harm in the process of removing the top.

Disclaimer: this can get dangerous with some glass chipping and cracking, DO IT YOURSELF AT YOUR OWN RISK!

What you need:

Razor blades/xacto-knife
putty knife
hand towel

Here are the steps I took.

basically just took a razor blade and started "sawing" back and forth to cut at the glue. Once the initial razor breaks through, it gets easier.

it's a little tough at first, but once you wiggle in there enough, you just make a saw-like motion to break through the glue. Go back and forward at a flat motion, not up and down. It might start cracking due to pressure.

i found using a small hand towel helped and put less pressure on your hands.

using a putty knife can help when your hands get too tired from using the razor blades.

this is the hardest part! When you get to this point, you will be cutting through the glue and the plastic! It was pretty challenging to try to cut through the plastic part of the lid.

i found that it helps to cut along the plastic piece this way to loosen it.

once you loosen it enough, you might be able to just pull from the front to snap it off, but I didn't want to risk any cracks so I just wiggled the glass horizontally and not just pulling the glass back. This helped detach the lid.

keep wiggling it horizontally and not vertically and it'll eventually come off!

use the razor blades to remove any excess glue.

the final product! rimless 6 gallon tank!

yes I know it defeats the whole purpose of having a fluval edge, but if you were annoyed and upset with being limited with certain plants and accessibility like I was with the Edge, I think it's definitely worth removing the top, especially when the tank was free. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I personally found dental floss or fishing line WAY better than a razor blade (cut myself a few times). Especially when you get to the back-part where the slit joint. Just my 2 cents but nice write up
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermino View Post
I personally found dental floss or fishing line WAY better than a razor blade (cut myself a few times). Especially when you get to the back-part where the slit joint. Just my 2 cents but nice write up
Never even thought to try those! In case I ever get another edge given to me, I'll try it again, thanks for the tip!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 06:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
when using dental floss, all your trying to do is get the top off. Don't worry about getting the silicone off as much as possible till you actually pop the top. Once done, then I took a sharp knife and just went down the top of the glass at a 15-20 degree angle and just peeled all the silicone off..

I did this WHILE my tank was still full and had my betta in it - so don't worry about your fishies. silicone might get inside the tank a bit but I always had a paper towel running along the inside while i shaved it off.

Personally, next time i'm just buying a rimless tank - Edge is definitely not worth the headaches.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermino View Post
when using dental floss, all your trying to do is get the top off. Don't worry about getting the silicone off as much as possible till you actually pop the top. Once done, then I took a sharp knife and just went down the top of the glass at a 15-20 degree angle and just peeled all the silicone off..

I did this WHILE my tank was still full and had my betta in it - so don't worry about your fishies. silicone might get inside the tank a bit but I always had a paper towel running along the inside while i shaved it off.

Personally, next time i'm just buying a rimless tank - Edge is definitely not worth the headaches.
I hear ya on that, I only did it because it was a given to me from a friend and i'd feel bad for making money off of it. Still pretty cool that I have a more practical tank instead of that pain in the ass setup.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode