DIY root tab gel caps - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY root tab gel caps

I wanted to start making gel capsule style root tabs for my tank before I rescape it in about a week; however, most of the recipes I found called for large amounts of, or exclusively for Osmocote Plus. Recently O+ has been discontinued. I'm looking for suggestions for a fertilizer that would work just as good, or better. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm actually going to home depot to search for something tomorrow. I'll let you know if i can find something similar to Osmocote.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 12:59 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Mix up dry ferts with clay. You can use dry clay to mix with them or you can use wet clay to make your own clay fert balls. You could even put the wet (maleable, not really 'wet') clay mixture into gelcaps if you wanted.

You'll likely get more mileage out of buying dry ferts and mixing them up with clay than you would with Osmocote Plus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I just got a whole thing of O+ from an online site called discount hydroponics. It was $22 shipped to my door, and I had it in 3 days. Hope it helps.

If not, there are lots or very good dry fert mixes, and even step by step direction everywhere. Youtube is a good place to look for them. Good luck!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the help! I considered the clay method already but from all of the reports I've read it's quite messy and my mom would kill me if I destroyed her kitchen with a clay bomb

Punkndestroy, thanks for looking, I'm intrigued to see what you find.

Kdv, I"ll check that store out. As for dry mixes do you mean something like Osmocote vegetable or something more along the lines of Magnesium Sulfate and Potassium Chloride?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdv9tb View Post
I just got a whole thing of O+ from an online site called discount hydroponics. It was $22 shipped to my door, and I had it in 3 days. Hope it helps.
Is this the site you were talking about: http://www.discount-hydro.com/fertil...atured&page=6?

I found a slew of very "descriptively" named fertilizers, and osmocote I/O and vegetable, but no O+. Maybe my crypts just need some big bud juice
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 02:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
If you have a Meijer nearby, it may be worth checking there. The ones around me still regularly stock osmocote plus for $15 or so. Just be aware that some substrates (eco-complete being one) push the osmocote pellets out to float up where fish can eat them. I haven't heard bad things about fish eating dry ferts, but there does seem to be problems with osmocote and fish eating them.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 03:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks like the place I got mine from sold out all they had. If you choose too, places like greenhouse megastore still have it in 50# bags for $140, but I would only recommend that as a group buy sort of thing. There is NO WAY someone could use 50# of the stuff!

Yes, I was talking clay bombs. Yeah, parents don't like messes, so I would not recommend making your mom mad. We, moms, really like clean kitchens!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually happen to have a Meijer about a minute away from my house so I will definitely check there when I get some time. Hopefully they still have some left. If not, I'll look around to see what other slow release fertilizers they have. What would be a good micronutrient composition to look for?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My local Home Depot still has an abundance of Osmocote. If you'd like I can run and pick one up for you and have it shipped. Let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoba View Post
Thanks for the help! I considered the clay method already but from all of the reports I've read it's quite messy and my mom would kill me if I destroyed her kitchen with a clay bomb

Punkndestroy, thanks for looking, I'm intrigued to see what you find.

Kdv, I"ll check that store out. As for dry mixes do you mean something like Osmocote vegetable or something more along the lines of Magnesium Sulfate and Potassium Chloride?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow, I'm impressed you actually found some osmocote plus! How much is the osmocote and how much would shipping be?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PM me and we can iron out the details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoba View Post
Wow, I'm impressed you actually found some osmocote plus! How much is the osmocote and how much would shipping be?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (361/100%)
I've seen Osmocote plus 3-4 mos release and 8-9 mos release. What is the difference and which one is better?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Same concept. One just releases more slowly. I think it has to do with the nitrogen it actually releases into the tank. I'm not 100% sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herns View Post
I've seen Osmocote plus 3-4 mos release and 8-9 mos release. What is the difference and which one is better?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (361/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunknDestroy View Post
Same concept. One just releases more slowly. I think it has to do with the nitrogen it actually releases into the tank. I'm not 100% sure.
I bump into one web site and you are right. It was designed when the growth is later.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode