Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Central Illinois
DIY CO2 question.
I have the standard DIY CO2 setup
2 ltr bottle, airline tubing, sugar, water, yeast..
My question is, is there an exact type of yeast that I have to use? My father works at Kraft Foods, and was able to snag me some yeast. It came in a little white packet and all it has on it is "Yeast" My dad couldnt tell me any specifics on it. It is basically powder. Well my DIY CO2 has been setup for about 2 hours and I have not seen any bubbles at all.. Will it produce CO2 bubles consistanly or just like a bubble here, and a bubble here? To seal the cap with the air line tubing I used model cement glue. Mabey I just have a break in the seal, or mabey the model cement glue isnt cutting it? My procedure for setting it up were as follows.
1. Pour boiling water into empty 2 litre pop bottle to kill germs.
2. Add warm/hot water to the bottle, leaving about 3 inches of empty space at top.
3. Add two cups of sugar and shook bottle till sugar disolved.
4. Waited about an hour for the water to cool down.
5. Added 1 tablespoon of the yeast. Shook up to dissolve in sugar water solution
6. Hooked up to tank. Didnt hook up to power filter or diffuser yet because I just wanted to make sure it worked..
Did I do anything wrong? I have not seen any bubbles what so ever yet. I am thinking either it is a wrong type of yeast, or it is dead already. Any ideas?