attaching glass - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
attaching glass

I'm planning to build a partially raised 500 gallon pond and cut one of the side for a piece of glass, thus having aquarium - pond hybrid. The part of water held by the piece of glass would be around 50cm deep while the other 20cm would be held within concrete bed and lining (under the glass part). The glass itself measuring 19mm thick and around 160cm long and probably needs to be 65-75cm tall.

I want to know of the best way to attach a piece of glass to concrete frame, because people are using different kind of methods and I'm not sure but they must have done such for special reasons.

Brown : sealant
Blue : glass
Light blue : water
Grey : concrete

Sandwitched with double concrete frame

Sandwitched partially with double concrete frame

Sandwitched with single frame

-I need to hear from you guys (hopefully an engineer or an experienced fellow) about the best setup (and the drawbacks such as installation difficulties, etc).
-I'm also wondering how deep should I plant the glass inside the concrete frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like the idea of aquarium/pond !

A few thoughts:

Solution 3 would be my choice !

This will be the easiest to build.
I would suggest that you have the same arrangement along the vertical sides.

Glass/concrete interface should be at least 5cm, water pressure will push the glass towards the raised wall.

My advice would be that raised wall and bottom have to be poured in one piece, or the angle reinfored with steel bars to avoid movement/breakage at the angle.

You should use a primer to make sure silicone sealant will adhere well on the concrete.

Sietch
Lost in the desert...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

@siech,
I also figure that option number 3 (single frame) would be the easiest to make with less problems such as accuracy issue. The design would be stronger still because water pressure will push the whole glass to the sides of concrete (2 vertical and 1 horizontal).

I also consider making it partially 2 sides so the glass will meet at a right angle. Glass are around 130-150cm long each with the exact dimensions as the first single sided plan. I still believe it would be strong enough because many 19mm frameless tanks are standing strong at such length and depth (they are even 5 sides of frail glass).

Are you positive that interface between glass and concrete would be just fine by 5 cm? Some people here use at least 10cm for almost similar water depth and some even 20cm for depth greater than 1m.

I'll be asking my contractor and will underline strength and safety issues, making sure they will do the whole structure in one go, as accurate as possible with lots of steel bars as reinforcements. As far as glass to concrete goes, I heard the same that a glue-like primer is needed to attach but silicone is always a must in between to counter the act of matter expansion during heating, cooling and to dampen vibrations/impact as well.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

any other thoughts on certain issues?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode