How well does it dissolve co2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
How well does it dissolve co2?

I have a DIY reactor like this

I was wandering how well it dissolves co2, when I crank up the co2 flow to over 1bps, is doesnŽt seem to keep up in dissolving the co2 into the water and the top part of the plastic tube fills with co2, is there any way to fix this or does this reactor not handle that much co2?

Eheim pimp #127.
600 ltr (160g) planted tank. Pressurized CO2, Eheim 2260 & Sacem Marathon 2000, 156W T5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
What accumulates in your reactor could be O2, which starts to diffuse into the bubbles and replace the CO2 once the tank reaches O2 saturation (often observed in afternoons-evenings).

There is a couple of things you can do.

To improve the flow, I would skip the stuff on the bottom. If you notice too many bubbles escaping, you might want to make the reactor a little longer.

Also, you can add a nipple on top of the reactor, where the gas builds up, and attach an airhose which feeds the accumulating gas back into the pump, where it gets smashed up by the impeller. This will create a fine mist which dissolves much better than big bubbles. Don't worry about some of the mist escaping on the bottom, by the time it reaches the surface all of the CO2 has been dissolved out of the bubbles.

What kind of filter do you have on your tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

OK, IŽll remove the floss in the bottom. How about just making a little hole high on the reactor so that the O2 bubbles never build up to much, so when theres more then about 1cm of air at the top of the reactor, it would just escape out of the side of the reactor?

I have an Eheim 2026

Eheim pimp #127.
600 ltr (160g) planted tank. Pressurized CO2, Eheim 2260 & Sacem Marathon 2000, 156W T5.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Planted Member

Because it would mean that co2gas coust get wasted.

From 2.1gal Nano to 14gal:

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven
OK, IŽll remove the floss in the bottom. How about just making a little hole high on the reactor so that the O2 bubbles never build up to much, so when theres more then about 1cm of air at the top of the reactor, it would just escape out of the side of the reactor?

I have an Eheim 2026
If you make a little hole like that I'd stick a small section of tubing in there, otherwise quite a lot of gas, small bubbles as well as big, will escape. By having a section of tubing in the chamber when the gas builds up too much it will let a bit out.

Alternatively you can do what I do and have the CO2 going directly into the intake of a powerhead which chomps up the bubbles so they're very small. However I'd only do this with cheap powerheads that don't cost much to replace.

The trouble with airstones is they're designed for quite a bit of pressure, which DIY CO2 doesn't provide. So you usually get it leaking out around the seal of the airstone in relatively large bubbles. Y
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I actually donŽt have an airstone and IŽm usin pressurized. But the reactor is filled with aquaballs.
This buildup of air only seems to be in the late afternoon and at night. Early during the day, the co2 is quickly dissolved when it enters the reactor. So IŽm guessing this is O2 buildup as wasserpest pointed out. But what I donŽt understand is that if this is a buildup of O2, why would I want to lead it back to the pump, wouldnŽt it be best to get rid of the O2? Is the best way to do that to put an airtube in the top of the reactor? How long should it be? Should it just be sticking right out of the reactor?

Sorry for all the questions, but IŽm trying to decide weather I should try to improve this reactor or buy an Aquamedic 1000 reactor. I can get one from aquaristic.net for €47 (about $60), is it worth it or should I stick to my DIY?

Eheim pimp #127.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
I would do a little plastic external inline reactor, attached to the outlet of your canister filter. Why? 1) It does a great job dissolving CO2. 2) You are using the power of your canister filter, so no additional stuff needed. 3) It's outside of the tank, no ugly beasts in the tank (unless you do that modern powerplant theme...).

By just punching a hole into the reactor you will lose some CO2, along with the O2. Stick tubing in a hole on top of the reactor, route it back to the pump, and bingo, fine mist everywhere. It can be a little noisy. Doesn't matter if it's O2 being dispersed, as long as all CO2 that you are adding is dissolved, and as long as there is no gas buildup in the upper part of the reactor.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode