DIY CO2 for 6 gal? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 for 6 gal?

Hi, I was thinking on a DIY co2 setup for my 6 gal nano cube. In the past I used a 2 litre bottle, with 2 cups of sugar, a teaspon of yeast, and a bit of baking soda for my 50 gal setup, it had an airstone as a diffuser, and I had nothing to complain, the plants were growing crazy specialy the glosso.

But I don't know if the same formula would work for the nano. You cannot have to much co2 right?, I mean the water gets saturated and co2 is realeased in the air right?, I mean you cannot kill fish with co2 right?.

I was also thinking on using a much smaller bottle and less sugar, but I don't know if it would make any difference other than running out of sugar quicker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by avillax
But I don't know if the same formula would work for the nano. You cannot have to much co2 right?, I mean the water gets saturated and co2 is realeased in the air right?, I mean you cannot kill fish with co2 right?.

I was also thinking on using a much smaller bottle and less sugar, but I don't know if it would make any difference other than running out of sugar quicker.
Although I've not seen evidence of it myself, fish are said to be sensitive to high levels of co2 - high meaning 40-50ppm. Some are more sensitive than others.

I'll be doind the same shortly with a similar sized nano. My 3fter at home has 2 x 2L bottles and gets levels of ~20ppm. That's for a 40Gal tank. I'll probably be using a 600mL bottle for my 7 Gal.

I'd be starting slowly with the co2 levels in your nano. It's cheaper to add another bottle later than replace a heap of dead fish.

It's be interesting to hear from anyone who's overdosed ther tank on co2 and the effects.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

But then it means that a 600ml bottle produces the same bubble rate of Co2 in the water than a 2 liter one?

The difference then is that the 2 liter bottle lasts longer than the 600ml one?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 03:20 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Use the same mixture but cut your yeast to 1/4 tsp you should be fine

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 03:23 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by avillax
But then it means that a 600ml bottle produces the same concentration of Co2 in the water than a 2 liter one?

The difference then is that the 2 liter bottle lasts longer than the 600ml one?
No, you'd obviously have to drop down the amounts of yeast, sugar and water you'd use. Look, you can drop the amount of everything and still put it in a 2-liter bottle if you want - the size of the bottle is irrelevant. It's the amount of ingredients you use that will determine the levels of CO2 produced. IMO a 'normal' 2L setup would be hazardous to fish in a tank your size.

To explain what I mean simply my 40 Gal tank as I said has a 2 x 2L bottles set-ups (with the usual 2 cups sugar, 1/4 tspn of yeast) to acheive CO2 levels of around 20ppm which is exactly where I want it. If I had a 20 Gallon tank I'd use 1 x 2L bottle. Now I'm thinking of a 7 Gallon tank - roughly 1/3 of the size - so dividing 2L by 3 gets me to a 600mL bottle, but more importantly using 1/6 of the original ingredients to acheive the same levels of CO2 I get in my current tank.

Mind you you're using an airstone as a diffusor, which in my experience does close to jack. Did you ever test your CO2 level in you 50 Gal tank? You need to get those bubbles as small as possible, otherwise you're just wasting ingredients and the 'cheap' opntion of DIY CO2 won't be so cheap in the long run.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

But then if a lot of CO2 is getting wasted because of the airstone, then the concentration wont be high and harmful for the fish isnt it?.

About wasting money on ingredients, I really don't mind, those ingredientes are stupidly cheap in Mexico. There are some really nice small co2 reactors by hagen for under $30 bucks, but they dont sell them here.

So tell me your veredict, same concentration on 600ml?, or 1/6?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 06:39 AM
Algae Grower

Using an airstone you'd probably be fine by, as suggested, just dropping your yeast to 1/4 tsp. I doubt you'd overdose the CO2 that way. If you're not worried about cost, then just doing that should be fine.

Just out of interest how long does your mixture last using 1 tsp of yeast at the moment?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 06:48 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maazo
U

Just out of interest how long does your mixture last using 1 tsp of yeast at the moment?
I use

2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1tsp yeast
1/8 tsp bs

I get 4-5 weeks of steady flow out of each 2ltr,

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Planted Member

HI AvilaX, FWIW I will throw my two cents here by telling you my experience in my new 10 gal cube, I use 2.5 Coke bottle, three cups of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of "Tradi Pan" dry yeast and 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda. Before using the baking soda the Ph dropped to 5.4 and I had to move my 2 ottos to my 82 gal. as they were having a hard time, and of course, 4 neocaridinae shrimp died, but once I put the baking soda in the mix, the Ph is at a nice 6.8 level, so there is no problem now, besides with this mix I added 2 SAE's, 2 amano shrimp, 1 Tiger shrimp and 1 neocaridinae (maybe a Cherry ?) and they are really good, eating like mad.I diffuse the Co2 through a fine sponge of an aquaclear500 I put at the end of the modular filter and works ok.

Hope this helps.

My Low Tech 82 gal. planted Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode