How To Create a Tiered/Terraced Affect - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
How To Create a Tiered/Terraced Affect

I'm going to tear down a tank after 12 years and have decided I want to create a multi-level affect in the new aqua-scape.
I want to epoxy small pieces of stone together and attach them to a base to create a 'wall' that would rise up to another level.
I've heard of people using using Styrofoam and epoxy for this purpose.

If anyone has any experience in this area or know of a site that would have instructions/pictures on how to build this, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 03:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The threadstarter here might have some ideas for you, since he did this...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Low Tech (1.5wpg PC for 10 hours, no CO2/ferts, gravel substrate), Equipment (72" Coralife PC, Eheim Pro II 2128 w/built in heater, FilStar XP3 w/Hydor ETH201 inline heater), Fish (6*Discus, 2*Angel, 5*Clown loaches, 4*L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, 1*L-260 Queen Arabesque pleco, 7*Cories, Farlowella cat)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 03:44 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
You can use pieces of slate to build up a wall. You wouldn't have to glue them together or anything, just lay them on top of each other. And the you just fill up the area with your substrait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlen
I'm going to tear down a tank after 12 years and have decided I want to create a multi-level affect in the new aqua-scape.
I want to epoxy small pieces of stone together and attach them to a base to create a 'wall' that would rise up to another level.
I've heard of people using using Styrofoam and epoxy for this purpose.

If anyone has any experience in this area or know of a site that would have instructions/pictures on how to build this, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Len
Check out Chuck's Planted Aquarium Pages
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_o...tmax_styro.htm

I dont know if the site in our sig is down or if I am just banned.

Want to see more...check out my website
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Brilliant - Thank you for that link. That method is a bit more involved than I wanted to get, but it will give me ideas for the future.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlen
Brilliant - Thank you for that link. That method is a bit more involved than I wanted to get, but it will give me ideas for the future.

Len
No problem, I was going to do something like that but it is VERY involved. I settled foor a few rocks in formation of a cave...LOL.

Want to see more...check out my website
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I don't know if this helps, but take a look at this thread.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...ake-2-56k.html

Kevin
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That is really neat, the way he's got the wood laying over the stone, and it's similar to what I'm talking about, but the size of the stones take up so much room that you lose a lot of planting space that way. I've done arrangements like that in the past and was unhappy with the lost planting area.
The stones I'm planning on using will be no wider than 1" - 1.5", no longer than 2" - 2.5" and no thicker than .25" - .50". I will stack and epoxy the stones for the first tier about 4 - .25" pieces high for a total height of 2" - 2.5". Then fill in behind that with substrate and move in about 3" and build another wall there.
This would give me 3 different levels.
I think it would look neat and also, I'd be able to plant HC as a ground cover on the upper levels, closer to the lights. I've only got 3 wpg in the tank I'm planning this for and Hemianthus requires at least that much light.
What do you think? I know it sounds complicated. Hope my description was clear.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
Quick Tip- I have used a hot glue gun to glue the rocks together, as long as they are dry when you glue them it works great (hot glue will not stick to wet rock) and then if you ever want to re scape or re stack it is easy enough to get them apart- If you use epoxy its pretty much permanent.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 03:02 PM
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosaurus
Quick Tip- I have used a hot glue gun to glue the rocks together, as long as they are dry when you glue them it works great (hot glue will not stick to wet rock) and then if you ever want to re scape or re stack it is easy enough to get them apart- If you use epoxy its pretty much permanent.
"more permanent" is the way I want to go. The only reason I'd change it would be if I tear the whole tank down again, and hopefully that won't be for another 12 years.

Thanks for the links distrbd. Every little bit helps.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode