Sietch's DIY Rimless 122g - Light fixture test - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sietch's DIY Rimless 122g - Light fixture test

Hello,

As I said some time ago in Scolley's sticky post, I built a rimless/braceless open top tank.

Dimensions are 136x59x57 cms (53x23x22 inches), 460 litres (122g).
I glued the tank on July 05 just before I went on leave.

I went back last saturday, and started the filling process but with no magic stone, yellow duck or offering to the God of Sand so you can easily imagine how nervous I was....

My first plan was to fill it gradually (10cm per 10cm) to avoid any mistake and check carrefully every thing, but you know was it is when you have a new toy eh ???

Well after 3 days everything is still OK ! (appart from 0.5 cm evaporation per day, which was to be expected)

Yahoooo ! I did it !

Special thanks to Scolley for all his documentation and "planting" this mad idea in my mind
And other thanks to Wendle for additionnal advices posted in the above mentionned post !

Now the most difficult part of the process is starting....

I will keep you posted and be prepared for answering lots of questions...

Sietch

Last edited by Sietch31; 08-12-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
pretty ballsy filling it for the first time in your house!

how much did you spend on the materials for the tank itself?

Regards,
Barry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Member, Minnesota Aquarium Society
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
Looking awesome! Can I ask the reason for the odd sizing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Algae Grower

The tank looks very nice! How thick of glass did you need to use for the walls to avoid crossbraces or Eurobraces?

Rob

post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

banderbe:
Not much risk, as you can see the living room is 30cm below the rest of the house, it is all tiled with large glass doors openning on the garden...
So in case of leak all I have to do is to push water outside

Under special instruction from Home Prime Minister I removed the carpets before the test
In the worst case only the couch's feet would have been wet !

On the other hand, and based on Scolley's experience, I also choose to test it on it definitive stand to be 100% of the rigidity and levelling of the support.

Also you can see that the filling hose is in the water and (still) connected to tap : it could be use as a reverse siphon in seconds to start emptying tank in case...

Cost: roughly 300 US$ for glass (12mm thickness) plus 18 US$ for silicone that I brought from France (no high tensile strengh silicone available here).

AaronT:
Thanks but I still have to clean a LOT of silicone

The odd dimensions are because I am using some Ikea kitchen doors, as hinged doors in the front of cabinet (you can see the hinges), but also to cover sides and back !
I will post some pictures of these.

Sietch
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Stand picture

Here is an image of the 'almost) completed tank before I removed doors and sides to be able to use the stand as support for gluing the glass:

You can see that doors and sides are rising above support level : this will allow them to hide the bottom glass an seam.

My first intention was to have the stand directly on the floor, but the floor is not levelled at all at this location so I had to fit some adjustable feet (from Ikea again, primirally sold for bathroom furniture) under the stand.
I fitted 8 of these to minimize weight on each of them.
I also had to cut them to 5cm as they are sold at 15cm height and I wanted to minimize overall height.

Sietch
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Isnt that where Garfield always sent Odie?

Just looking at that tank makes me nervous I couldnt imagine owning it.

Nice job, everthing looks great! I wish I had tile like that.

Want to see more...check out my website
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
Don't forget Nermal too. He gets shipped to Abu Dhabi several times.

That's a nice looking stand as well. Is the tank going to be there permanently or did you set it up there for testing purposes? I like the idea of being able to walk around the whole thing, though it makes for a challenging aquascape.

In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Planted Member

I see a lot of IKEA ... the chairs and the low black table... And the children chair is Trip-Trap (Danish)... Scandinavian furniture is widely spread...

By the way the tank is looking awsome. I like the size and dimentions.

What are your plans for light?

From 2.1gal Nano to 14gal:

post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
i also see a big eheim canister chillin off tot he side. this is gonna be a neat tank.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to jay1st
Nice job !

Are you planning to put some foam or what ever between the stand and the tank (just in case)?

Super boulot..........
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 02:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
You are so brave. I don't think I could talk my DH into letting me test it in my LR. (It's not tile, but it is vinyl.) It's beautiful. Simple, classic, beautiful. Congratulations! I can't wait to see it filled.

Terri
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for your comments !

AaronT: Yes the intent is to have the tank permanently at its present location !
I have two childrens, 5 and 2 yrs old : they will both have one side to look at directly at their height as you may have notice that there is a 30cm height difference in the room

But I know for sure that the scape will be challenging, especially for a beginner like me...and due to the limited choice of plants available here

Anti-Pjerrot: Are you working for Ikea or (like me...) do you know their catalogue by detail ???
This thing is a treasure for DIYers.....

TheOtherGeoff: Good view ! It's a 2028, and there is a 2026 from my other tank that will join this one...

jay1st: There is already foam under the tank: a thin sheet of extruded polystyrene called Depron (can be found at DIY stores for insulation, also used by R/C hobbyists for building very light indoor planes, one of my other hobbies....)
Mode French on : Merci pour le commentaire, je vais essayer de poster en parallele sur Aquasquale !
Mais c'est ici que j'ai eu l'inspiration et les conseils, a eux la primeur !
Mode Francais off !

quilting chick: Thanks for the comment !
BTW, I don't know if I am brave of crazy, please ask my wife for confirmation

This WE is for plumbing and lightning...
I will post pics of progress I any...

Sietch
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
Floor tiles are cool in more ways than one - and especially when it comes to minor drips. Here in NYC, with antique oak floors it's a different matter - especially with downstairs neighbors!

I imagine you have plenty of sand substrate available. But not much peat. ;-) I wonder what you will use for substrate when it comes to doing that? T5 lighting might work well on this setup.

I look forward to following your steps. Nice photos, by the way!
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
what's right behind the stand...
from the picture, on the left of the stand are 2 steps... on the right it's just one big step (or dropoff)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode