Tank Dividers from light covers... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
Tank Dividers from light covers...

I cut a divider from one of the florescent egg crate light covers you get at home depot for my 55 to split it for two pairs of angelfish. It is in there really tight- I had to really force it in. This morning both pairs are on the right side! How the heck did they get over? What in the world am I doing wrong? They are adult fish, so I know they didn't swim through the holes- so somewhere at the edges there must be a gap big enough for hem to swim through- which I still can't believe.

Its tough because it is hard to break all the little bars at the same place- some snap right off flush at the corner, some snap in the middle. I could break off all the loose ends to make it flush, but then it would definitely be too short- the tank doesn't divide in perfectly to the squares in the grate. I know they didn't go over or under, or through- any tips?

I also am afraid that they will hurt themselves on sharp edges if they get spooked and try to force themselves through again-

Any ides on putting an edge on it to fit against the glass? Maybe I can take a piece of tubing and cut it long way, and push the edge into the cut ... Any other ideas out there? I wonder if I could create a frame and sew net across it instead? What could I make the frame out of that would be rigid and fish tank safe? I think I would rather find a way to dull the edges of the one I have already...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
How do you know they didn't go over it?

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Make a "flap" all around the edges with the more flexible craft mesh that they sell at hobby stores.

You can hold it onto your egg crate light diffusor with zip ties. Put flaps on either side of the egg crate to prevent the fish from scratching themselves on the sharp edges. Like this:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

In case you're curious, these are pictures from one of my club members of a serilite breeding tub for smaller fish, so they dont' get the fish eggs on the bottom. I think the idea would work well for you too though - especially if you put the flaps on both sides of the egg crate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I <3 Eheim #195
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Jenn, I bet if I put it on both sides it would work.

TINNGG, I am pretty sure they didn't go over. Becasue if the drift wood placement in the tank the divider is just a bit off center, but only about 1/2 inch clearance between that and the 1" wide center brace, and the top of the divider comes about 1/2 inch over the waterline. That would be a big jump for both of them to make. Not only that, but the light rests on top of the tank, so there is very little room where they could make it without hitting equipment, HOB outflow or light fixture. These are really big fish, there is so little room for error I can't believe they both could have made the jump in the middle of the night. They're not trained dolphins- just Angelfish! If one ended up on the floor I would buy it, but I just don't see it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Craft mesh along the top will help "just in case".

Haha, trained dolphins... What's that angel? Timmy fell in a well? Oh wait... silly fish... you just want fed again dontcha? Little pirahnna...

I <3 Eheim #195
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Somthing that I've done in the past is take a piece of clear vinyl tubing (1/2" or so) and make a slit down the length of the tube. This allows for the vinyl tubing to be fitted over the side of the eggcrate and hold the piece in place against the glass. It also protects you and the inhabitants from sharp edges.

Also, I've found that a good pair of wire cutters give the best control when cutting eggcrate (scissors are the worst).

Rob

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When I got home Stumps and Grandson were back on thier side, so I thought they might just be visiting the neighbors, but an hour later- there she was again, in the neighbors house. I happened ot have the tubing already on hand so I went that route- we'll see how it goes...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 06:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobChuck
Somthing that I've done in the past is take a piece of clear vinyl tubing (1/2" or so) and make a slit down the length of the tube. This allows for the vinyl tubing to be fitted over the side of the eggcrate and hold the piece in place against the glass. It also protects you and the inhabitants from sharp edges.

Also, I've found that a good pair of wire cutters give the best control when cutting eggcrate (scissors are the worst).

thats works the best. we did that at the store a time or two. the tubing also makes for a nice snug fit against the glass

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode