Cheap Co2 holder - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cheap Co2 holder

i was thinking about buying a nice Co2 reactor or at least one of the inverted bell or jacob's ladder style bubble counter type deals when I decided to take a differant route.

I took strips of plexiglass that I had laying around and siliconed them to the lip of my 10 gallon planted so that it formed a rectangle along the inside diameter of the lip. So now my Co2 bubbles out of the generator and into the box that I formed around the whole inside diameter of the tank.

Now I know it is using osmosis to defuse into the tank and thus not as good as a powered reactor, but it was pretty cheap and it has more workable surface area than the bell reactor.

To get a good seal and make sure it looked uniform I made the top level with the upper most point of the plastic and filled the lip area with silicone, passed my finger over it, let it cure then went back with a fresh single edged razor when it had cured completely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to jay1st
any pics of that bright idea ?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

the battery monster has struck, will get new ones when i go out tonight and take pics, but should not be to hard to imagine.

cut plastic strips for the volume of rectangle you want, super glue them in a few spots to lip of the tank so that the top of the strip is level with the top of the plastic, then fill in the space with silicone, cut off access when it cures. Now the gas bubbles into the box that is formed inside the tank. Some hang on filters will sit funny, others will not.

I am figuring eventually I am going to have to purge the gas from under the lip as it defuses Co2 into the tank and is replaced with oxygen and nitrogen from the tank water. I used a tube to suck the initial air out of the box so that the water could be displaced by Co2. I doubt the osmosis will happen at a rate great enough to keep up with the production from the yeast reaction which is where the powered reactor may be superior.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I doubt the osmosis will happen at a rate great enough to keep up with the production from the yeast reaction which is where the powered reactor may be superior.
For sure, mine is !!!

But the idea is far from stupid, increasing the surface contact without having a "monster bell" in the tank.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah there is no room really for a powered reactor and the system I am using now (2 litre bottle into food syringe hung upside down) is not the prettiest so I wanted to change to this.

I figured a powered reactors output would also create an issue with my substrate (potting soil) being blown around the tank constantly since the height of the water table is not really large in the 10 gallon.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Algae Grower

Even a small one will be more effective..........
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
So let me get this right, it is built in such a way that if your tank evaporates out the bottom part of the retangle is exposed and the gas escapes, right? Like a downward facing 3-sided rectangle all around the outside? I think it is a wonderful idea! How much can you see from the sides, anything?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_dragon_i
the battery monster has struck, will get new ones when i go out tonight and take pics, but should not be to hard to imagine.
You might want to try rechargeable batteries. I use them now for all my little electronic devices that eat up lots of juice. I have the Duracell 2400 mAh batteries, and with my digital cam, they last for a really long time (about 400 or so shots). Also, they only take 6 hours to charge.

Eheim Pimp #162: Eheim ProII 2026
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenThePlantGeek
So let me get this right, it is built in such a way that if your tank evaporates out the bottom part of the retangle is exposed and the gas escapes, right? Like a downward facing 3-sided rectangle all around the outside? I think it is a wonderful idea! How much can you see from the sides, anything?

that is correct. Just figured why not use the area of the tank for something. You can see as little or as much as you want based on how tall you make your plastic strips. I was looking at my 20 long and noticed that I could get much taller strips in there because of the size of the black plastic piece used to make the top lip. if you really do not want to see the plastic I suggest getting the really thin plastic from a hobby store that you use on cheap poster frames, i doubt you will be able to see it and it cuts fairly easy with a sharp utility knife or a REALLY good set of sheers.

I do not think I could even get a small powered reactor to work in the tank without stirring up the dirt substrate at this time, maybe when the tank is fully planted with no substrate exposed to current I can put in a small powered reactor and take this deflector I am about to put on my hang on filter off

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode