Glass thickness for frameless 180 long - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glass thickness for frameless 180 long

I want to make a 180 long (72" x 24" x 24") with a frameless top, ADA style if you please. I don't want to use the horizontal top reinforcements. Can anyone advise me as to the thickness of glass I need to use. I did see the DIY thread Scolley posted (thanks, very informative) but the table he referred to says I should use 12mm thick glass. It is about .5 inches which is what Scolley used. It would seem to me that I would need a thicker glass. Can anyone put my concerns to rest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to vidiots Send a message via Yahoo to vidiots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc305
I want to make a 180 long (72" x 24" x 24") with a frameless top, ADA style if you please. I don't want to use the horizontal top reinforcements. Can anyone advise me as to the thickness of glass I need to use. I did see the DIY thread Scolley posted (thanks, very informative) but the table he referred to says I should use 12mm thick glass. It is about .5 inches which is what Scolley used. It would seem to me that I would need a thicker glass. Can anyone put my concerns to rest?
I have a purchased Oceanic 180 gal 72"x24"x24" glass aquarium. It has 0.5" thick glass, however it does have a center brace across the top. It could be just over built for strength though, which I would say is usually a good thing.

Not sure of the math behind it but I too would think that if you wanted to skip the brace you'd probably want to use thicker glass. How much thicker, I have no clue. If I had to guess I'd think you'd should be safe with 0.75" to 1.0" thick glass.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Unfortunately 3/4" thick glass is going to weigh over 400lbs, and 1" will weigh over 500# just for the glass! I hope you have a lot of very strong friends!

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
ADA's 180 comes in two thicknesses, 12mm and 15mm.

I would shoot for the 15mm.

jB
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
I thought ADA's tank is 180cm not 180 gallons. Its about 150 gallons.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
ADA makes a 180cm tank that is 180x60x60cm. It is about 167gallons. Pretty close to a 180 gallon tank.

jB
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Vidiots, does your oceanic tank have the bottom glass set inside or on top of the vertical sides?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to vidiots Send a message via Yahoo to vidiots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc305
Vidiots, does your oceanic tank have the bottom glass set inside or on top of the vertical sides?
I'm a little confused by your question. Do you mean does the weight rest on the bottom glass or on the sides? I think the side glass extends all the way to the frame with the bottom glass inbetween the sides. I don't think the sides sit on top of the bottom sheet of glass. Tough to say for sure because the trim hides the bottom connection all the way around, but the weight of the tank is resting on the trim all the way around and the bottom glass is not in direct contact with the stand. If the tank wasn't full and heavily planted I could probably check from looking at the inside.

As mentioned above, the tank is quite heavy. With the 0.5" thick glass it weighs about 300+ pounds empty. I re-enforced the floor beneath my tank prior to filling, not because I was afraid it would fall through the floor, but feared that with a ton of weight sitting in one spot for an extended period of time that the floor might bow slightly over time.

Out of curiousity how much do you think you'll save by building your own instead of buying one ready made? I admit I didn't shop around for the best deal on mine, and paid extra to have it come with built in overflows and paid $2000 for it plus a glass top and oak stand and they delivered it for free.

The only thing I think would have made mine look better is if it were made of acrylic instead of glass so that you wouldn't see the corners at all. On the tank I have they did a very nice job of putting a clean beveled edge on the glass so it still looks very nice.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It apears that you understood what I was getting at about the bottom and side pieces. Scolley built his with the glass on the bottom, Wendle put it on the inside of the vertical pieces, and I wanted to see how Oceanic did it.

I am not concerned about the weight because the floor is concrete slab, so I guess I'm lucky there.

I have been quoted $350 for all the glass in .5 inch and I have just about all the tools already. The tools I don't have, the corner clamps, I was planning on buying anyway for the cabinets. I only need silicone, which is $6.50 a tube for scs1200. I'll buy a dozen to play it safe. After considering the cost of the materials for the stand, I think I will still come out well ahead. All Glass brand 180s go for over $600 without shipping and they still have the trim that I don't care for.

Ah acrylic... It is beautiful but I find they scratch too easily for my taste and my son likes to "drive" his hot wheels on every inch of our house, including the aquarium.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 07:10 AM
Algae Grower

Try this link. It's not the same size as what you are after, but he used 3/4" glass. The interesting thing about this tank is that he used pvc for the bottom instead of glass.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=839423
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
One thing for sure if you are shooting for a custom made frameless, rimless tank at such size (or even DIY) is to opt for 19mm glass.

12mm will not do, 15mm will barely do it especially if you use regular cheap glass. Even at 19mm, it will still bow a bit (no rims and bracings), but you will be much safer from failures such as when you knocked the glass accidentally or as when you lean over into the tank while doing maintenance.

Just seeing from the safe side and existing custom made tanks. Keep in mind that ADA glass and our regular glass are totally of different quality and strength.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks to all for the help. I will be proceeding in 3/4" glass.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 04:55 AM
Algae Grower

You can use this if you are really keen

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/glassthickness.0.html

Mark
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 01:58 AM
Algae Grower

6' is a big span! 12mm with a 200mm (minimum) centre brace or 15mm. Can't hurt to go to 18mm, just make your joinery and floor very strong! The ends and the bottom will be fine in 12mm.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 04:22 AM
Algae Grower

Glass thickness for frameless 180 long

I'm going with 19mm glass all around. I hope it will do.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode