Automated CO2 system idea - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Automated CO2 system idea

I've been thinking a bit the last few months of automating one of my aquariums. I know there are industral PLC automation controllers avalible in the $100 US range with 8 inputs and 6 outputs.
http://web3.automationdirect.com/adc...DirectLogic_05
Dead reliable and very durable.

Rex Grig mentioned he uses Clippard products. I've seen Clippard stuff used in factories around here and asked until I found the local contact and sales agent, he dropped off a catalog the other day.
In it they have a little electric valve called the Mouse. I think someone here mentioned he had used one to just shut the gas on and off.
http://www.clippard.com/store/byo_el...use_valves.asp
Life Cycles: Over 1 Billion
Response Time: 5-10 Milliseconds
One small moving part that moves 0.007"

So heres my idea..automate the lights with relays, the water changes with sprinkler valves and an RO system...fish food..plant nutrients..and so on...pretty much done allot already in one way or another. But,the one I'm thinking most about right now. The CO2. Using a PH probe and a PID loop in the controller one could have the mouse valve cycle fast enough to just give one or two bubbles at a time. At even 200 bubbles per minute the valve should last quite a while...about 10 years. A PID loop gives extreamly close control of a system process. Think of it as an extreamly smart CO2 gas PH controller that can adapt to water chemistry, varying pressures, flow rates with the ability to make manual changes on the fly without upsetting the system. It even adapts to PH sensor response.

I've even been toying with using Maxim one-wire system components I already have instead.
http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm...te_number/1796
Then using a dedicated PC. I have an old one knocking around. It doesn't have to be fast. I'd run Linux and some dedicated software. Linux almost never crashes unlike Windows. You could even alter the water chemisty, lighting and water change frequency to mimic the seasons in a certain fishes natural habitat. It could be conected to the Internet and monitored away from home.. have a web cam connected...whatever ...it would be accessable, scalable and easy to modify. A bit of a big project..but just a bunch of random thoughts at the moment.

In the end it'll mean more time enjoying my aquariums and less time working on them.

So I'm looking for any and all feedback or sugestions, positive or negative. Who knows I just might be crazy enough, or just plain crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
You're forgetting a robot to trim your plants.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Damn...I never thought of that...lol...seriously...thats one of the fun things..kinda artistic and can only be done correctly by a human hand...its the boring tedious things I'd like to automate....I will never consider water changing fun in any way..unless you count the last time I had a big spill...but thats not the kind of fun that makes for healthy aquariums.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
How noisy is that mouse valve?

I'm imagining a 200Hz (variable) hum emanating from it as it opens and closes.

Carl

Former president of SCAPE, but now living in Colorado. I'm just getting back into the hobby after not doing much for the past 10 years - feel free to PM me if you're in the Front Range area.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool

Damn, I should really spend more time taking care of my tanks then thinking of ways to get out of work. Its easier to just do it than think of ways not to .

Last edited by madman280; 10-24-2006 at 03:24 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode