A CO2 set up out of paintball equipment. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
A CO2 set up out of paintball equipment.

Ok i know everone says not to do it but I already have all the stuff from a bunch of my old gun setups. Ok I was thinking on using my old maxflo regulator (know for being the most accurate reg on the market) which I just tested and will easily hold its own in the 0-30 psi range. This would sit ontop of a 20oz co2 tank that I have lying around. I would output the reg to a needle valve and then to a diy bubble counter.
Now I would buy a real setup but am a poor college student and have all this stuff (minus the needle valve) already, and I love a good project.
As far as airline I would use the macro line that is already on the fittings till I get to the needle valve, then I would have to pick up some co2 line.
Not sure what I would use as a diffuser, this will probably be on my ten gallon, but if it works well enough I would throw it on my 65. Currently Im only running 1.8 wpg on the 65 I hope to jump it to 200 watts soon.
I think this will work, I know the 20 oz wouldnt last long, but I have a buddy who will fill it for free so I'm not to worried about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've converted my large tank CO2 set-up to use a 20oz paint ball CO2 cylinder. The CO2 used for paintball doesn't have any oil in the tank..but if your into paintball you already know you lube the moving parts of the gun not the tank. In Canada they use food grade CO2 for nearly everything..I've heard otherwise for the USA. I've been using mine for a month and the high gauge has been steady on 900 psi the whole time. Myself I used a welding regulator adapted to an old tank fitting. Just drilled out the fitting to take 1/8" npt thread and used a high presure brass nipple. I can always get mine filled at a local store 7 days a week, 8am to 9pm. MUCH better then the fire and safety places or the welding shops. 5 days 9 to 4 pm
CJ
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

cool sounds like this will work. I just need to find all the fittings etc.. Man i might only spend 30 bucks on everything as I have the tank, reg, etc...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 02:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
well someone finally got smart out there , and they are goin to make a few bucks with this. its a complete co2 set up for paintballers to use in thier tanks.... i am considering this myself, but need to find a cheaper source then the LFS that wants 200 bucks for it .. i am not sure many people know about this yet as it is very new...

http://redseafish.com/co2_pro.asp

"I love the smell of fish tanks in the morning, Smells like... like... Ok it's time for a water change..."
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually saw that, however that is still way more then I want to spend. Like I have stated if I use my tank, and regulator off my old guns all I will need to buy is tubing and a needle valve, well besides the diffusor
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 05:37 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
yeah the kit has everything, valve counter, diffuser (powered wirlpool thing for up to 50 gallons), co2 measure tubing as well, except the tank , any one know how much one goes for ??

"I love the smell of fish tanks in the morning, Smells like... like... Ok it's time for a water change..."
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A 20 oz can be had for about 25 or so, if used much cheaper. Paintball is getting away from co2 and moving to high pressure air so co2 tanks will be cheaper and cheaper.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 05:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
i have the redstar co2 paintball kit on my 10g tank, cost me 85$, they have tanks at walmart for 18$ 2$ to fill 20oz tank at my local paintball, last about 2 to 3 months.

Filstar pimp#48

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

24g Aquapod 60w led Pressurized co2 paintball system DIY blacked out stand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 02:53 AM

i just made a diy co2 setup out of my old maxflo reg...it has worked good so far.. instead of the macroline...i would reccomend just putting some 1/8 npt hard line on there....makes the system less wobbly...

pic of mine

i would have 2 co2 tanks so when one runs out...you can hook the other up while you refill the one that is empty to avoid ph fluctuations

55gallon planted community
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 03:05 AM
JBN
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Location: Huntington Beach, California / La Jolla (San Diego), California
Send a message via AIM to JBN Send a message via Yahoo to JBN
Can you tell us the parts you use (name of brand, thread size, etc) and the prices? The system looks great and I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in building a system like yours
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 03:49 AM
Algae Grower

very nice!

Filstar Pimp #61

29 tall, 130w/cpf, Pressurized co2, XP2, ADA amazonia substrate, ph 5.9-6.3, gh,3 kh3, Dosing w/Greg Watson ferts, using the estimative index method. temp. 78-82.
4 ottos, 2 sae's, 1 clown loach, 8 cardinal tetras, 9 rasbora espy's, 2 botia sidthimunki, 2 tuxedo gouramies, 4 amano shrimp, 3 cherry shrimp
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Three things. Get a decent needle valve they are not that expensive and those HD needle valves don't work all that well.

Get some decent tubing. Silicone is the worst choice you can make.

Don't use teflon tape. It can cause problems.

And what is the purpose of the snot on top of your bubble counter?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 09:43 PM

you are right...the needle valve does suck but it gets the job done for now....

the guy at the lfs said that that tubing was fine and that they use it on their planted tanks.....guess i was misinformed

what kind of problems can teflon cause? what else can i use?

the snot is silicon sealant to seal the bubble counter....i kinda just put it on there and let it dry...

JBN- not sure on all the prices since most of it is what i had and the stuff i bought evidently is "junk"... the thread sizes are all 1/8 npt which is pretty much the standard for paintball equipment...

55gallon planted community
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Silicone can lose 6% of the CO2 per foot. Most people don't know this because silicone is sold as CO2 proof tubing. That means that CO2 doesn't cause it to breakdown.

The Teflon tape shreds and can plug your needle valve or other gas ports. Pipe joint compound works best.

I've never had to seal my bubble counters.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode