Mod to a canister filter? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via MSN to capricorn77 Send a message via Yahoo to capricorn77
Mod to a canister filter?

So all the posts of DIY filters, etc have me thinking...
I currently have an eheim 2215 for a 29 gallon.
Well, after all the necessary mechanical filtering material has been placed in the canister, I have noticed a significant flow decrease in the output.

So I got thinking, would it be possible to add another water pump on the outflow of the eheim to give it extra flow? Sorta like adding more horse power to the thing?

I was thinking of adding one of these water pumps/external mag drives to give the eheim an extra "oomph."

What do you guys think? Will it work?

member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 06:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
No it won't really work that way. Better off to just get a larger filter if you need more flow or don't use fine media so you get the most of what you have currently. Also want to check that you don't have any loops in the intake side. It's gravity fed so it's important that it goes straight down into the filter.

BTW does this decrease in flow happen immediately or over time as the mechanical media catches debris? You can also try putting a pre filter sponge on the intake. You remove it weekly when you do your water chagnes and it really extends the service life of your filter.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 12:45 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
It amazed me how much dirty hoses decreased flow as well.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wow, I had no idea about the tubes and stuff!
Good information and greatly appreciated!
I do have several loops on the intake and outflow tubes. So on the next water change, I'm going to cut them shorter.
I do use fine filter floss, and the flow in the beginning was great. It's slowed down considerably now. So perhaps I can just remove the fine filter floss and replace with one that's just a bit course.

Also, I keep hearing slushing noises or bubbles being broken up by the impeller. There are no leaks though. The filter sits inside a bucket so if there was a leak, it would be relatively contained.
What d'you think could be causing these noises? A bad O-ring?
As added information, my pressurized CO2 doesn't feed into the filter. I use a glass diffuser in the tank, situated infront of the outflow.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!

member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 06:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't like the fact that you are getting sloshing noises from the filter. It is possible that there is a leak on the intake side and the vacume is sucking in air somehow. Definately want to eliminate the loops on the intake though. That is a no brainer for sure. On the outake is hard if you use in-line heaters reactor and such to elliminate loops, but I can say from experience with my eheim proII 2028 that they are tolerable of this to a point.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thumbs up

Well, I followed everyone's suggestions and the flow has dramatically increased. Removed all the loops, and wrapped the intake tube with a sponge so that small fish and shrimp doesn't get sucked in.

I found a bunch of cherry shrimp hiding inside the canister when I opened it up to clean it
Amazed at how they were able to live inside all this time!

I'm going to monitor the folow for a while to ensure it's good.

Thanks again for all your help!

member of
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 06:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's great!!

I totally know what you are talking about on the Shrimp. Actually that's the only way that I can catch them in my 120 gallon tank. Probably had 40 of them in the filter!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
in my little 30 gallon, occasionally a shrimp will come off the bottom and wander too close to the power filter, get sucked up into it, and end up as a fine sludge in a couple days. it makes me sad.

30gal extra high:

10gal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode